Family of upper caste man forces dalit wife out of home

Miss Alone

Prime VIP
A family residing in Palapatty in Mettupalayam has thrown out the newly-wedded wife of the son from their home after they found out that she was a dalit.
The woman, identified as Revathy, 23, was to leave for Jaipur with her husband P Rajiv, 25, on Sunday when her in-laws became aware of her caste identity. Revathy lodged a complaint with the Thudiyalur all-women police station, stating that her husband's entire family has gone into hiding. Police on the case said Revathy and Rajiv worked together in a private company at Kalapatty, where they fell in love. Rajiv was aware that Revathy was a dalit and had met her family too. Rajiv had not told his parents that Revathy was a dalit.

The couple was to leave for Jaipur on Sunday as Rajiv had secured a job with a private company there. But on Monday (May 23), when the couple had gone out shopping, Rajiv's mother, P Malathy, 43, father, Palanichamy, 60, and sister, Vidhya, 27, came across Revathy's certificates. "When we returned home, they abused and harassed me using my caste name, and asked me to get out of the house. I was taken aback because I had repeatedly told Rajiv to inform his parents that I was a dalit," said Revathy. "They took my mobile phone and there was no way I could communicate with Rajiv. So, I approached the police," she added.
Investigating officer Inspector Amutha said Rajiv's family was summoned to the police station on Thursday (May 26).