Enjoy the contest regardless of the winner, Alam says

Lily

B.R
Staff member
Mohali: Pakistan team manager Intikhab Alam knows Mohali and Chandigarh better than any player on his team. Even the state team players know him very well. Alam was the coach of the Punjab state team for two years in 2004 and 2005, and they performed brilliantly during his term.

So, when Alam arrived at the Mohali stadium, there were many waiting to meet him. The Punjab Cricket Association president I.S. Bindra received him with a big hug. In the backdrop could be seen a portrait of him during his playing days hanging on the wall.

Victorious run

Alam coached Yuvraj Singh, the hero of India's victorious run in this World Cup.

"Yuvi [Yuvraj Singh] played a few matches under me and I could see a lot of potential in him. I have always said Yuvi needs more discipline in his batting and he has achieved it in this World Cup," said Alam, who was born in Hoshiarpur, which is near Mohali.

When a scribe asked him whether the India-Pakistan match on Wednesday would be the mother of all matches, Alam said: "Please let it remain as a cricket match and don't make us feel like we are standing on a battlefield. Both teams cannot win and somebody has to lose. So let us enjoy the contest."

To a query whether he was a lucky mascot for Pakistan, having been the coach of the Pakistan team when they emerged World Cup champions in 1992 and in the 2009 Twenty20 triumph, and whether he would be third time lucky, Alam said: "I hope it happens for a third time. Let us clear the India hurdle first before thinking about that."

What is his advice to his players for this crucial match? "Go out, enjoy the contest and give your best."