Edwards wants to be an important part of west Indies cricket

Lily

B.R
Staff member
Roseau July 10:

Kirk Edwards, who scored a century on Test debut against India in the Third Test, said his goal is to become an important part of West Indies cricket.

The tall right-hander made an assured 110 in more than four hours at the crease and became the first man to make a century at Test cricket's newest venue. "It is a special feeling to get a Test century on debut for the West Indies but I would have liked to carry on and make a bigger score for the team. Test cricket is about fighting and I see myself as a fighter."

"We have a lot of strong characters in the team and we will continue the fight out this match." He also became the 13th West Indian to make a century on debut. His knock pushed the home side to 224/6 in the second innings - an overall lead of 82 with a day left in the match. During his innings Edwards had the ideal partner in Shivnarine Chanderpaul (73 not out) in a stand of 161.

Edwards,26, played some brilliant shots and also showed great determination. He was cheered by the vocal and colourful crowd of over 7,000 fans - including his father Glendon, who made the trip from Barbados. "We need the support of the people. I had a great reception from the crowd here in Dominica. I was really impressed and happy with the support that we received here." Speaking about his temperament, Edwards said he never shies away from a challenge.

"I'm always prepared mentally. I visualise what I want and I go after it. I want to be a pillar in West Indies cricket so all these things drive me to achieve my goals." "There will be obstacles but I always aim for my goals. The youngsters (in the team) need the support, we won't come on the stage and get success overnight. Edwards spoke of the players he admired and those who inspired him as a boy growing up. "As a young guy growing up and watching cricket I used to like to watch Viv Richards. I used to love to see Viv Richards on the highlights package (on television)."

"It was a proud moment for me to go to the Kensington Oval - at the old Oval - and see Brian Lara and Carl Hooper play. I used to think to myself that one day I would like to be out there playing as well so for me playing for the West Indies is a dream come true," Edwards added.