Dr. Manmohan Singh

Dr. Manmohan Singh

axcgitrans-1.gif
manmohan_singh-2.jpg
Dr. Manmohan Singh is the current prime minister of India. He is also a first non-Hindu prime minister of India which has 80% hindu majority, a very distinguished and respected Sikh. He is known for his sincerity and integrity. Dr. Manmohan Singh was born at Gah, west Pakistan in the house of Sardar Gurmukh Singh ji and Sardarni Gursharan Kaur ji on September 26 1932. Family settled at Amritsar after partition. After 1984 riots he sold his house at Delhi and bought at Chandigarh but when he was made a finance minister in the government of Narasimha rao in 1991 he got a government quarters. Dr. Manmohan Singh has been a leader of the opposition in Indian Parliament for last five years.
Accomplishment in arts and science :
Recipient of honorary degrees of D.Litt. from Panjab University, Chandigarh, Guru Nanak University, Amritsar, Delhi University, Delhi, Sri Venkateshwara University, Tirupathi, Panjabi University, Patiala, University of Mysore, Mysore, University of Bolonga, Italy, Kurukshetra University, Kurukshetra, Osmania University, Hyderabad, Nagarjuna University, Nagarjunanagar and Dr. Bhimrao Ambedkar University, Agra; recepient of honorary degree of (i) Doctor of Laws from University of Alberta, Edmonton, Canada, (ii) Doctor of Social Sciences from University of Roorkee, Roorkee and (iii) D.Sc from Chaudhary Charan Singh Haryana Agricultural University, Hissar and (iv) Thapar Institute of Engineering and Technology, Patiala; Conferred,(i) University Medal for standing first in B.A(Hons), Economics, Panjab University, Chandigarh, 1952, (ii) Uttar Chand Kapur Medal, Panjab University, Chandigarh, for standing first in M.A.(Economics) 1954, (iii) Wright's Prize for distinguished performance at St. John's College, Cambridge, 1956 and 1957, (iv) Adam Smith Prize, University of Cambridge, U.K., 1956, (v) Padma Vibhushan, 1987, (vi) Euromoney Award, Finance Minister of the year, 1993 (vii) Asiamoney Award, Finance Minister of the year for Asia, 1993 and 1994, (viii) Jawaharlal Nehru Birth Centenary Award of the Indian Science Congress Association, 1994-95, (ix) Justice K.S. Hegde Foundation Award, 1996 ,(x) Nikkei Asia Prize for Regional Growth by the Nihon Keizai Shimbun, Inc. (NIKKEI), publisher of Japan's leading business daily,1997 and (xi) Lokmanya Tilak Award by the Tilak Smarak Trust, Pune, 1997.</B>
Travels abroad : Travelled extensively in Europe including Eastern Europe, North America, Latin America, Africa and Asia.</B>
Publications : Author of a book entitled "India's Export Trends and Prospects for Self-Sustained Growth" Clarendon Press, Oxford University, 1964, and has also published a large number of articles in various economic Journals.</B>
Professor and Civil Servant;
Senior Lecturer, Economics, 1957-59, Reader, Economics, 1959-63 and Professor, Economics, 1963-65, Punjab University, Chandigarh; Professor of International Trade, Delhi School of Economics, University of Delhi, 1969-71; Honorary Professor, (i) Jawaharlal Nehru University, New Delhi, 1976 and (ii) Delhi School of Economics, University of Delhi, 1996; National Fellow, National Institute of Education, N.C.E.R.T.,1986; Honorary Fellow, (i) St. John's College, Cambridge U.K., 1982, (ii) Indian Institute of Bankers, 1982 (iii) All India Management Association, 1993 and (iv) Nuffield College, University of Oxford, Oxford,1994; elected Wrenbury Scholar, University of Cambridge, 1957; Economic Affairs Officer, 1966 and Chief, Financing for Trade Section, UNCTAD, United Nations Secretariat, New York, 1966-69; President, Indian Economic Association, 1985; Chairman, (i) UGC, March 15, 1991 to June 20, 1991, (ii) India Committee of the Indo-Japan Joint Study Committee, 1980-83 and (iii) Committee on Commerce, August 1, 1996-December 4, 1997; Deputy Chairman, Planning Commission, January 15, 1985 to July 31, 1987; Governor, Reserve Bank of India, September 16, 1982 to January 14, 1985; Director, (i) Reserve Bank of India, 1976-80 and (ii) Industrial Development Bank of India, 1976-80; Economic Advisor, Ministry of Foreign Trade, India, 1971-72; Chief Economic Advisor, Ministry of Finance, India, 1972-76; Advisor to Prime Minister of India on Economic Affairs, December 10, 1990 to March 14, 1991; Secretary-General and Commissioner, South Commission August 1, 1987 to November 10, 1990; Secretary, Ministry of Finance (Department of Economic Affairs), Government of India, November, 1976 to April, 1980; Member-Secretary, Planning Commission, April, 1980 to September 15, 1982; was Member, (i) Finance, Atomic Energy Commission, Government of India, (ii) Finance, Space Commission, Government of India,(iii) Economic Advisory Council to the Prime Minister, 1983-84; Member,(i) Committee on Finance,(ii) Committee on Rules, (iii) Committee of Privileges and (iv) Consultative Committee for the Ministry of Finance; Leader, Indian Delegation to (i) Indo-Soviet Monitoring Group Meeting, 1982, (ii) Indo-Soviet Joint Planning Group Meeting, 1980-82 (iii) Aid-India Consortium Meetings, 1977-79, (iv) Commonwealth Heads of Government Meeting, Cyprus, 1993 and (v) Human Rights World Conference, Vienna, 1993; attended as member of Indian Delegations (a) South-South Consultations, New Delhi, 1982, (b) Cancun Summit on North-South Issues, 1981, (c) Aid-India Consortium Meetings, Paris, 1973-79, (d) Annual Meetings of IMF, IBRD and Commonwealth Finance Ministers, 1972-79 (e) Third Session of UNCTAD, Santiago, April-May, 1972, (f) Meeting of UNCTAD Trade and Development Board, Geneva, May 1971-July 1972 and (g) Ministerial Meeting of Group of 77, Lima, October, 1971; Deputy for India in IMF Committee of Twenty on International Monetary Reform, 1972-74; Associate, Meetings of IMF Interim Committee and Joint Fund-Bank Development Committee, 1976-80 and 1982-85; Alternate Governor for India, (i) Board of Governors,IBRD, 1976-80, (ii) Board of Governors IMF, 1982-85 and (iii) Board of Governors Asian Development Bank, Manila, 1976-80; Governor for India on the Board of Governors of the IMF and the International Bank for Reconstruction and Development, 1991-95; participated in Commonwealth Prime Ministers' Meeting, Kingston, 1975; represented Secretary-General UNCTAD at several Inter-Governmental meetings, including Second Session of UNCTAD, 1968 and Committee on Invisibles and Financing related to Trade Consultant to UNCTAD, ESCAP and Commonwealth Secretariat; Union Finance Minister, June 21, 1991 to May 15, 1996; Leader of Opposition, Rajya Sabha; elected to the Rajya Sabha in October, 1991 and re-elected in June 1995.</B>
Clubs : Gymkhana Club, New Delhi; Life Member, (i) India International Centre and (ii) Indian Economic Association.
Special interest : Social and economic change and international relations.
Favourite pastime and recreation : Reading and writing.
Permanent address : 9, Safdar Jung Lane, New Delhi.