Does it bore you to listen to my dreams?

Ramta

- -
- -

If I had lot's of money I would build an Ashram(Resort) for village teachers. A Resort full of light. With a builging full of light. All light. With big windows and high ceilings. I would have for them a splendid library, a music room with all sorts of musical instruments, a garden, an orchard. I would have lectures on Agronomy, Astronomy and so on - Teachers ought to know everything.

Does it bore you to listen to my dreams?

I love talking about all this. If only we knew the absolute necessity for the country-side of good, educated teachers! In India we simply have to create exceptional conditions for teachers, and that as soon as possible, since we realise that unless people get an all-round education, the state will collapse like a houise built of insuffiently baked bricks.

The teacher must be an actor, an artist, passionately in love with his work. And our teachers are navvies, half educated individuals, who go to the village to teach children as willing as they would go to exile. They are famished, down-trodden, under-paid and live live in perpetual fear of losing their livilihood. And the teacher ought to be the first person in the village able to answer all the questions put to him by the peasants, so that the peasants regard him as a power worthy of attention and respect, whom no one will dare to shout at...or humiliate, as in our country everyone does - the rich shop-keeper, the priest, the village sarpanch, the policeman and that official who, though he is called a school-inspector, busies himself, not over the improvement of conditions for education, but simply over carrying out district circulars to the letter.

And it's absurd to pay a niggardly pittance to one who is called to educate the people - to educated the people, mind! It's intolerable that a such a one should go about in torn shoes, shiver of sweat in damp dilipidated building, be poisoned by fumes in badly ventilated buildings, be always catching cold and by the age of thirty-five be a mass of disease - tuberculosis, rheumatism, laryngitis, spondylisis... It's a disgrace to us! For nine to ten months our village teachers live the lives of hermits without a soul, an educated soul, to speak to. They grow stupid from loneliness, without books or amusement. And if they venture to invite someone to come and see them, the villagers think they a disaffected - that idiotic word with which cunning but intellectually mediocre folks terrify others with.

All this is disgusting...a kind of a mockery of human beings doing a great and terribly important work.

I tell you, when I meet a village teacher I feel quite awkward in front of him - for his timidity and shabbiness. I feel as if I myself were somehow to blame for the teachers' wretched state - I do really!

Thanks

- -
- -

Ravan

*****AKA-JATT*****
that's a nice dream, may god help u to achive it

but the teachers should be something like, who can answer a question in a phrase which makes a complete sence, and should be practically correct.