DIY Face Masks

While I love skincare products, I can’t always justify spending money on the non-essential items or on those products that I can easily make at home. Luckily, there are countless skincare products that can be made from the food in your fridge, and this also gives you the benefit of knowing the exact ingredients in your product. Those with sensitive skin don’t have to worry about possible allergens and chemicals causing an unsightly reaction.

Face masks have many benefits; even the 10 to 20 minutes you have to wait while the mask sits on your face provides a little “you time” and allows 10 whole minutes of relaxation. For that set amount of time, you can close your eyes, put your feet up, and relax. If you just aren’t the relaxing type, you can take this time to check your e-mail or run some errands if you don’t mind running around with some green mush caked on your face.

For masks that combat dry skin, look for certain moisturizing ingredients like bananas, milk, honey, and avocado. A simple moisturizing mask just consists of 1/2 of an avocado and 1/4 cup of honey. Mash up the avocado and mix in the honey; then smooth the mixture over your face. Another moisturizing mask consists of 1 mashed-up banana, 1/4 cup plain yogurt, and 3 tablespoons of honey. Just try not to eat the concoction before you have time to use it.

There are also DIY face masks for oily and shiny skin. Many of these face mask recipes will also contain a moisturizing ingredient because you don’t want to over-dry your skin, even if it tends to be on the oilier side. The recipes for oily skin can include fruits like lemons, oranges, and strawberries because the acid works to break down oils and cleanses the skin. A good DIY face mask for oily skin consists of 1 teaspoon lemon juice, 2 egg whites, 2 teaspoons honey, and 1 mashed-up strawberry.

If your skin is neither particularly oily or particularly dry, try out a mask using oatmeal. Oatmeal face masks can work to heal damaged skin and leave your face glowing. For an oatmeal DIY face mask, take 5 tablespoons of ground oatmeal and mix in milk until you get a thick paste. You can trade in the milk for water for a less moisturizing option. Smooth this paste on your face, and put your feet up because you finally have an excuse to relax for 20 minutes.