Dilshan signs for Surrey stint

[JUGRAJ SINGH]

Prime VIP
Staff member
Tillakaratne Dilshan, the Sri Lankan batsman, will play English domestic cricket for the first time after signing for Surrey as Hashim Amla's replacement.

Dilshan, who was part of the limited-overs leg of Sri Lanka's current tour, does not play Test cricket any more is likely to make his debut in the Championship match against Hampshire on June 28 and play in the NatWest T20 Blast match against Kent on July 2 before returning to Sri Lanka for the one-day series against South Africa. He will then return to Surrey until late August when Sri Lanka host an ODI series against Pakistan

"It's a fantastic opportunity for me to play for Surrey," Dilshan said. "They are one of the most historic clubs in the world and I very much hope to make a big impact whilst there. I've enjoyed playing at The Oval in the past and look forward to returning there with Surrey."

Alec Stewart, Surrey's director of cricket, said: "With the very crowded international fixture list, it's becoming increasingly difficult to sign a high class overseas cricketer to play in England.

"Therefore, we are very pleased to have been able to secure the services of a player of the calibre of Dilshan. There is a great deal of limited-overs cricket to be played in July and August and it is a big boost to be able to draw on someone with his huge experience and skills."

Surrey have needed to patch up their overseas position since Graeme Smith returned to South Africa for knee surgery.