Digvijay backs Dalit demand on Lokpal bill drafting committe

Lily

B.R
Staff member
New Delhi: Amid the controversy surrounding the Lokpal bill drafting committee, senior Congress leader Digvijay Singh on Saturday backed a demand for a Dalit representative on the panel while central minister Salman Khurshid ruled out any changes.

Singh backed Uttar Pradesh Chief Minister Mayawati's demand for a representative on the 10-member government-civil society committee, though he has been her bitter critic.

"The demand is just," Singh said, adding nothing could be done now because the bill drafting panel has already started its work.

Mayawati on Friday demanded an apolitical member on the panel to give representation to marginalised sections.

Khurshid said: "There is no question of changing the committee members.

"I [and my] other nine colleagues are concerned about forming a good bill. We will not be distracted by any controversy or claims outside the committee. These are independent matters and are apart from what we are doing in the committee."

The panel of five activists and five ministers assigned to draft a new anti-graft law has been the subject of many rows after it was formed on April 9 following days of nationwide protests against corruption. Two prominent activists in the committee, Shanti Bhushan and his son Prashant, have themselves been accused of sullying the reputation of the panel.

Justice N. Santosh Hegde, one of the members, has also threatened to quit over the "vilification campaign".

The Karnataka ombudsman was disturbed by Singh's remarks accusing him of failing to curb corruption in the state.

But Khurshid said he respected Hegde and was looking forward to having him on the panel.

"I value his contributions enormously and hold him in high respect," Khurshid said. "I hope he will be able to be with us. We want his contributions. We are looking forward to having his inputs.

"We are neither endorsing anyone nor speaking against anyone. We are not concerned about anything beyond the committee."

Asked about Mayawati's demand, Khurshid said: "We should trust the 10 members. Let them present their product. We should give them a chance. After the product comes out, we can see and examine it and put forth our objections, if any."

Hegde opposed Mayawati's demand, saying: "If you have to have any caste-wise representation, then this committee can never be constituted."