Dealing with Lactose Intolerance

tomarnidhi

Being lactose intolerant can be a painful, annoying disorder, which prevents one from eating milk products. But living with the disorder may be simpler than you think.

Lactose intolerance may be a genetic disorder in some, while in others, it may be brought on by long abstinence to plain milk. Mostly, however, it is a condition caused by a lack of lactase, a digestive enzyme in the gut, which helps process lactose, a natural sugar found in milk and milk products.

Says Preetha Shetty (32), a Mumbai-based homemaker, “As a child, I found that whenever I drank a glass of milk, it caused tummy aches. Soon, I gave it up. I wish my parents had thought of seeking medical help at the time. My mother thought I was throwing tantrums to avoid drinking milk. I was probably lactose intolerant.”

However, her dietician warned her three years ago to include milk in her diet. “She said that it would become necessary to include milk and milk products if I was expecting a child. Merely taking calcium supplements would not be enough.” But drinking milk was very tough for Preetha – not least because she found she just could not digest it. “I would get severe stomach cramps after drinking milk, and I would feel very bloated. There were times when I even suffered indigestion. And not just milk, the same happened when I would eat cheese pizza, or have buttered toast. I have had to give up many foods because they contain milk products.”

The condition, though not serious, does restrict one’s diet and robs the body of calcium, fats and protein found in milk. “Milk and milk products are essential to fortify the body and build bones. Studies have found that young children who were exposed to a balanced diet of non-fat milk and milk products were found to grow faster and healthier than those children who did not have the same diet,” explains dietician Anjali Mahrse. “However, most mothers try to tempt their children into drinking milk by making milky coffee, tea or flavoured milk for them. The excess sugar is dangerous for the system.”

Explains Dr Rahul Warshney, general practitioner, “Lactose intolerance is becoming more rampant in people these days, probably due to faulty digestive processes or a genetic issue. However, lack of awareness of what to eat and what to avoid can cause severe digestive distress to these people.” A rule of thumb, says Dr Warshney, is to avoid consuming plain milk, salted butter, milk-based drinks or juices or soft cheeses. “Scientists have been able to isolate the lactose sugar and found that it is found in full-cream milk and the water component of milk. Reduced milk causes a lot of the lactose component to be lost, so kulfi or sweets using reduced milk should be okay. Low-fat milk or products made from low-fat milk may be better for consumption.”

However, to make up for nutrients lost through a diet weaned off milk and milk products, you can try the following:

Eat curd: Curd is ideal for digestive health. A bowl of curd, ideally not salted or sweetened, after meals or about three tablespoons of curd during a meal will increase the level of good bacteria in the gut, which will further help in digesting meals without causing discomfort.

Have black coffee: Just one cup, after lunch. The caffeine in black coffee will help calm the system and keep you alert, people adding milk to their coffee and suffering from lactose intolerance often report mild cramping and sluggishness.

Low-fat cheese: Grate a very small amount of low-fat cheese over your salad to build the body’s resistance to even small amounts of lactose. Gradually increase the amount if you can. However, it is advisable to consume lactase pills on the advice of a doctor as well. If this doesn’t work for you, try having egg white omelettes for a protein fix.

Stock up on paneer: Paneer provides essential calcium and protein, which the body requires. Grate paneer over your salad, soup or vegetables. Some lactose intolerant patients report no resistance to paneer.

Probiotic drinks: These help in increasing good bacteria in the intestine, and are especially helpful after a bout of stomach flu. However, check if the drink is made of no-fat milk or soy milk.

Smoothies: Since these are yoghurt-based, they are safe to consume and provide a lot of nutrients because of the added fruit.

Flavoured yoghurt instead of ice cream: Though you will consume more amounts of sugar than necessary, flavoured yoghurt will not cause the same distress as a cone of ice cream will.

Drink green tea or white tea: Both are beneficial and relieve symptoms of lactose intolerance. Besides, they also flush out toxins from the digestive tract and keep your system clear.

Avoid white bread and refined flour: These contain whey protein, which act negatively in a person suffering from lactose intolerance. These also hamper the breakdown of sugars in other foods consumed. Instead, try whole grain or wheat bread. When eating pasta, ditch the cheesy sauce and instead eat whole wheat pasta.