Davies wins Philippine Open invite

Lily

B.R
Staff member
1485763172.jpg
Dubai: Dubai-based golfer Chris Davies will make his dream Asian PGA Tour debut thanks to a last-minute invite from the Philippine Open organisers.

The 24-year-old, a dual British and Filipino national, will play in the competition on May 12-15 at Wack Wack Golf Club.

Having failed by three shots at qualifying school in January, all hopes of a homecoming to his mother's native Manila as a professional golfer appeared dashed.

However the business management graduate from Barry University, Miami, will now get the chance to compete against Asia's finest in the continent's oldest and biggest event.

"I'm stoked to have been granted this invite," said the Dubai Creek member. "My game has never been so good and I've never played at a level as high as this."

The invite sees him join 41 Filipino nationals already on the Tour's books.

"I'm now a member of the Asian PGA Tour thanks to this invite," said Davies. "I just need to work hard in the on-going Asian Development Tour, or at qualifying school next January, to gain a full-card exemption. That's the goal."

Davies is currently 17th on the money-list from two out of ten events on the Asian Development Tour.

If he can make the top three he'll earn his full card.

Davies said: "I know what I have to do at Wack Wack, I'm using the nerves and anxiety to my advantage. It will be interesting to see where I am in relation to the field - I'm hoping to use this as a springboard for more invites on Tour."

With a ten-year US visa and British citizenship via his Edinburgh-born father Davies could have gone the PGA or European Tour route, but chose Asia.

"Given my Filipino heritage the Asian Tour is dear to me, but it's not just that, the experience in itself is great, the standard is very high and the people are so accommodating and it's cheaper," he said.

[/img][/COLOR]