Daughter of a clerk, Rohtak girl tops HCS exam

Miss Alone

Prime VIP
toppingseptemberseptemberresidencehindus-1.jpg

Rohtak girl Shweta Suhag, 24, daughter of a clerk, has topped the Haryana Civil Services (executive) examination, results of which were declared on Saturday.
Suhag is BSc in Zoology from Delhi University’s Khalsa College. She said she prepared for the exam for three years before making the cut in the exam, conducted by the Haryana Public Service Commission (HPSC).
Suhag currently lives in Delhi’s Shalimar Bagh, where she has been giving free coaching to slum kids for the past few years. “I always wanted to do social work, so it made me happy teaching these kids. Also, it helped me revise my syllabus,” said Suhag.
Daughter of a clerk working in Haryana Roadways, Suhag said she faced financial challenges in pursuing her studies. “I had several job offers, but I didn’t join because in our families relatives start mounting pressure on daughters to marry once they get a job. To earn extra income I did part-time teaching jobs,” she said.
Suhag had cleared the Union Public Service Commission (UPSC) preliminary exam last year. She said she would want to give it another try in future.
“But I will join the central services only if I’m allotted Haryana cadre. I want to work for the women of Haryana. They are still living under the shadow of their men. I want to take up administrative roles where I can work for women’s welfare,” she said.
Rigorous preparation worked for Jhajjar’s Ashish Kumar
Ashish Kumar, 35, from Jhajjar is among the top 16 successful candidates. Kumar is MSc in Zoology from Rohtak’s Maharshi Dayanand University and BSc from Rohtak’s Jat college. He said he had been preparing for civil services for the past 8-1o years.
Kumar has cleared the UPSC mains twice but could not make it through the interview. “For the last 8-10 years, I had given my everything into preparing for the civil services. It was a heart-wrenching experience when I missed civil services twice, but I’m happy with the results now.”
In administrative role in Haryana, he would like to improve the primary education facilities. “My focus would be in educational facilities for the poor. I will also try to ensure that there’s no corruption,” he said.
A father of two girls, Kumar has a special love for the Beti Bachao Beti, Padhao scheme. “It’s a wonderful initiative and I would want to work for its implementation at the grassroot level. The state government has brilliant schemes but the sad part is that they don’t get implemented. I want to bring a change in the system,” he said.
Ambala’s Aditi, working as ACP in Delhi, makes it too
AMBALA: Aditi (30), a local resident, has figured in the list of HCS (executive) successful candidates, Aditi was not available when HT team visited her residence as currently she is away in Delhi where she is employed with the Delhi Police and working as assistant commissioner of police (ACP). Her husband Jitender is also posted at Delhi.
Her mother, who works as a teacher here and does not want to be named, told HT that it was Aditi’s second attempt in HCS exam. “She wants to make it to the Indian Administrative Service (IAS),” she added.
Aditi had done MCA from Patiala and BSc from Yamunanagar and she is fond of reading religious scriptures. She had taken Sanskrit and sociology as elective subjects.
After MCA she had worked for two years as software engineer in a multinational company at Gurgaon, her mother said. She said her daughter had cleared the HCS written examination once earlier also, but could not get through the interview.