Cristiano Ronaldo becomes father, mother's identity secret

Cristiano Ronaldo has become the father of a baby boy, the Real Madrid footballer announced on his Twitter and Facebook accounts Sunday.
The message on Ronaldo's Internet pages does not name the mother, but the Portuguese newspaper Correio da Manha said she is a US citizen.
'It is with great joy and emotion that I inform I have recently become father to a baby boy. As agreed with the baby's mother, who prefers to have her identity kept confidential, my son will be under my exclusive guardianship,' the message read.
'No further information will be provided on this subject and I request everyone to fully respect my right to privacy (and that of the child) at least on issues as personal as these are,' Ronaldo said.
The agency representing the player, Gestifute, confirmed the news, as did 'a female friend of the family,' Correio de Manha said in its online edition.
According to the newspaper, the baby was born in the United States at the beginning of June. Ronaldo spent his summer holidays in Los Angeles and Miami last summer, it added.
The report said the player's mother, Dolores, and sisters Elma and Katia, were arranging for the necessary papers so the child could be brought to Portugal.
Ronaldo, 25, has been romantically linked to a number of women over the years, the latest being Russian swimwear model Irina Shayk.
Shayk expressed disappointment at the announcement. 'My friend has suddenly become a father,' she wrote in her Facebook account.
The news came a few days after Ronaldo and the Portuguese national team were eliminated from the World Cup in South Africa. The player had a disappointing tournament, scoring only once.