Cong to oppose VIP culture

Jaswinder Singh Baidwan

Akhran da mureed
Staff member
The state Congress, in a bid to strike a chord with the common man, wants to shed VIP culture ahead of the 2017 state Assembly elections.
A move has been initiated by Congress Legislature Party leader Charanjit Singh Channi who has decided not to use red beacon atop his official vehicle and urged party leaders to give up their privilege and commute as a common man.
Prominent Congress leaders in the state use amber beacons atop their official vehicles. Sources say several MLAs have already agreed to the suggestion.
Channi said: “I am of the firm opinion that people do not like VIP convoys on roads. I will ask the state Congress president to convey the decision to the party colleagues.”
PPCC senior vice-president Lal Singh told The Tribune that the decision to give up red or amber lights would help the leaders connect more with people as they did not one like VIP culture which was very much prevalent in the state. “We want to be more accessible. Red lights and heavy security around leaders discourage people to approach us,” he said.
Clarifying that he was not following Aam Aadmi Party’s ideology, Channi said rivals could say anything they wanted but “I am not following any party”.
Will scrap job application fee: Amarinder
Chandigarh: PPCCchief Capt Amarinder Singh today said if voted to power, they would scrap the application fee for recruitment in government services.
Interacting with girl students of Panjab University here, Capt Amarinder said, “The state government charges substantially large amount as fee for various recruitments.” The students disclosed that the government was deliberately charging huge amount as application fee to make money.