Chris Read signs one-year extension with Nottinghamshire

[JUGRAJ SINGH]

Prime VIP
Staff member
Chris Read, Nottinghamshire's captain, has extended his contract with the club for an extra year. The 37-tear-old signed a one-year extension with Notts and indicated that he's still not thinking about retirement. Read will now be a part of the club at least until the end of next season.

"For me, these decisions about contracts are all about how I'm feeling fitness-wise and whether I'm performing at a high level," Read said.

"I still love the game, I love playing for Nottinghamshire and I'm not thinking about retirement. I'm happy with where my game is, I'm focussed on us having a successful season and I'm looking forward to finishing my career here at Notts."

Read, who is Nottinghamshire's highest run-scorer, has scored over 15,000 First Class runs in 300+ games and has played for the side since 1998. He has continued his fine run-scoring form into 2016, having already notched up two fifties and a hundred in the County Championship.

Nottinghamshire director of cricket Mick Newell said he was Read to continue playing for his side much longer.

"Chris is a very, very important player for us, not least because his wicketkeeping is of the highest quality and he continually gets us out of trouble with the bat," he said. "He is also our leader, he is an inspiration to the team and I hope he continues to play for a few more years. You only have to look at the way our form improved after we welcomed him back from injury last season to know what an important player he is for us, across all formats of the game."