- 1 kg/ 2.2lb cottage cheese (paneer), cut into 1”-thick, square pieces
- 1 tbsp/ 15ml mustard/ refined/ olive oil
- 1 bay leaf (tej patta)
- 1 cinnamon stick (dalchini)
- 2 cloves (laung)
- salt to taste
- 2tsp/ 6 gm turmeric (haldi) powder
- 2 tsp/ 6 gm ginger (sonth) powder
- 3 tsp/ 9 gm fennel (saunf) powder
- 1 tsp/ 3 gm cumin (jeera) powder
- 1 cup/ 240 ml/ 8 fl oz milk, skimmed and boiled
- 4 green cardamom (choti elaichi), crushed
Heat the oil in a deep pot; add bay leaf, cinnamon stick, cloves, salt and 8 cups water. Bring to the boil and add turmeric powder, ginger powder, fennel powder, cumin powder and mix well.
Add the cottage cheese and cook till the cheese is soft and the gravy thickens.
Add the milk and cook for 2 minutes. Sprinkle crushed green cardamom and mix well. Serve hot.