Carlos Brathwaite could spark bidding war amongst Big Bash League franchises

[JUGRAJ SINGH]

Prime VIP
Staff member
After making his debut in the Indian Premier League (IPL), Carlos Brathwaite, the strapping West Indian all-rounder, returns home for the start of a new international season. As he gears up to take on two heavyweights - Australia and South Africa - there are murmurs of a bidding war he could spark Down Under when Big Bash League franchises look for his signature.

Delhi Daredevils had decided to shell out a whopping INR 4.2 crore on the West Indian whose base price in February's player auction was merely INR 30 lakh. A week before he would swap his West Indies jersey for the red and blue of the Daredevils, Brathwaite showed why the IPL franchise pulled off a coup at the auction. In the final of the World T20, the big-hitting all-rounder carted four consecutive sixes in the last over of a tense run chase to help his team to their second title.

A tally of 83 runs and seven wickets in eight games is a tad underwhelming but that hasn't stopped Australian players from putting in a word to him on behalf of their BBL teams. "I don't want to call any names but yeah," Brathwaite said, when asked if any of the Australians had approached him yet. "Even last night I spoke to (Perth Scorchers coach) Justin Langer," he said.

Earlier reports suggested that Hobart Hurricanes and Sydney Sixers were front-runners for his signature but with Langer in the picture, Perth Scorchers could look to swoop in too. That Langer will be in the West Indies in the capacity of Australia's interim coach for the tri-series could help the Scorchers get another closer look. "I've got my Scorchers cap on every day of the week looking for the right people to bring across whether it's domestically or internationally," Langer said. "So no doubt I'll have a look at a few of (the West Indies) players to see whether they fit the bill."

While he admitted that "there are a few offers on the table", Brathwaite isn't getting ahead of himself.

"Home drum beats first so I'm just making sure everything is OK at home before I shoot abroad and make myself available. It's a dream of mine. The Big Bash ... it'd be good to test my preparation and my skill against some of the better players in the world in their backyard in the T20 format. So looking forward to it, if available," he said.

A good show in the tri-series could pique interest in the resourceful all-rounder once again and earn him a lucrative contract in Big Bash League. Scorchers? Hurricane? or the Sixers? It's a tussle-in-waiting.