Home Decor Build a great home theatre system

tomarnidhi

A few essential pointers for a great entertainment system setup at home.​

Should it be a plasma or LED? And bookshelf speakers or large tower speakers? Decisions, decisions! If space is not an issue and your budget permits you to dish out enough dough that could buy you a medium-sized car, then you have the fundamentals in place to making yourself a home theatre system that will serve you for years to come.

Although LED and HDTV sets are the way to go these days, LCD screens last much longer and are also more durable. If you are going the LCD way, then buy a high end set that will get you a truer black colour and avoid annoying artifacts that pop up in action scenes caused by the refresh rate of pixels in low-end LCD panels.

The Blu-Ray Player
Did you think Blu-ray technology was passe? Hang on a bit — it's still a great choice if you want the very best movie experience possible. If you've ever seen the Blu-ray version of Lord of the Rings, you'll probably get what we are saying. Picture and sound quality do differ by a certain margin among high-end Blu-ray players and you may not need to spend too much. Cancer surgeon, Dr Rajay Kumar, who likes to relax with a good movie after long hours in the OT, says, "I actually use the Blu-Ray player that comes inbuilt in my game console. It does the job pretty well."

The Preamp/Amplifier Combo

While most of us manage to obtain decent sound with a no-frills stereo amplifier, which is also called a receiver, in the dream world, you're going to want some extra muscle. That's where the preamp comes in. The two-stage process is normally handled by an amplifier. But you're going to want to separate these processes, because amplifiers work best when they're cool and not overheated multitasking to create the type of room-filling, realistic sound you're going to be producing.

The speakers
Your speakers are the only part of your dream home theatre audio system that metaphorically touch the road. So you need them to be great. Musician and singer Priya Darshini says speakers are critical to any home theatre section. "I would mix and match my speakers. I'd probably get two studio-level front speakers and combine it with say, satellite or cube speakers, which are pretty good these days."

Room acoustics

Acoustic tiles, sound diffusers and even rugs can be used to shape the sound of a room. This too is critical to setting up a good home theatre.

deep

Prime VIP
the most critical part on good home theatre is placement of speakers, no matter how good 5.1 or 7.1 channel system you buy if you are not placing speakers at right place system will not sound as good as it is designed to.

placement for 5.1 channel system (it comes with 5 satellite speakers and one sub woofer)

dolby_digital_pro_logic2-1.jpg

placement for 7.1 channel system (it comes with 7 satellite speakers and one sub woofer)

imagesqtbnANd9GcRrXftM5pxVNz3DJD0zGt617o-1.jpg

now days this whole set up is getting simpler as market is flooded with soundbars with which you dont have to worry about placing it at several location, just place it under the tv and you are good,
but this ease comes with expense on quality as soundbars only support 2.1 channel audio.

Also the material of speaker chassis also matters as speaker built of compressed cardboard or wood will produce better sound as compared to plastic.
i forgot to mention that cable/wire used to connect speakers also matters a lot, it comes in different gauges 12/14/16/18 etc, thicker the cable lower the gauge number.
12 is considered best, you can get lower that 12 as well but those are really expensive and better suited for professional systems. Also better insulation it has better will be sound as it will restrict the interference from external sources likes cordless phones/cell phones etc.

ลgǝи†.47

Codename 47
the most critical part on good home theatre is placement of speakers, no matter how good 5.1 or 7.1 channel system you buy if you are not placing speakers at right place system will not sound as good as it is designed to.

placement for 5.1 channel system (it comes with 5 satellite speakers and one sub woofer)

dolby_digital_pro_logic2-1.jpg

placement for 7.1 channel system (it comes with 7 satellite speakers and one sub woofer)

imagesqtbnANd9GcRrXftM5pxVNz3DJD0zGt617o-1.jpg

now days this whole set up is getting simpler as market is flooded with soundbars with which you dont have to worry about placing it at several location, just place it under the tv and you are good,
but this ease comes with expense on quality as soundbars only support 2.1 channel audio.

Also the material of speaker chassis also matters as speaker built of compressed cardboard or wood will produce better sound as compared to plastic.
i forgot to mention that cable/wire used to connect speakers also matters a lot, it comes in different gauges 12/14/16/18 etc, thicker the cable lower the gauge number.
12 is considered best, you can get lower that 12 as well but those are really expensive and better suited for professional systems. Also better insulation it has better will be sound as it will restrict the interference from external sources likes cordless phones/cell phones etc.

I'd agree with you
but not ideal

I've built a house and I don't wana create a mess specially with the home theatre wires lying around the living room

if you have a rumpus / theater room than it makes sense otherwise too much mess.

A receiver is a must have equipment, you can feed all the hdmi's and the components into the receiver and take one output off it to feed it to the tv

receiver manages everything , your blue ray player, your live TV box, your ps3/xbox and aux inputs

you can attach decent speakers to have a good surround sound .

deep

Prime VIP
I'd agree with you
but not ideal

I've built a house and I don't wana create a mess specially with the home theatre wires lying around the living room

if you have a rumpus / theater room than it makes sense otherwise too much mess.

A receiver is a must have equipment, you can feed all the hdmi's and the components into the receiver and take one output off it to feed it to the tv

receiver manages everything , your blue ray player, your live TV box, your ps3/xbox and aux inputs

you can attach decent speakers to have a good surround sound .

yes its not ideal but to achieve the performance for which system is designed to you need to place speakers strategically.
its my personal experience, i have Yamaha 5.1 channel audio system and i wasted two years complaining that it sounds crap as all three satellite speakers were sitting on same TV cabinet(fear of creating mess by running cables), then somebody suggested to move right and left satellite speaker to behind the seating area and it worked like never before. now it really gives feel of theater when watching a Blu ray movie.
i stapled wires nicely to top corners of wall (you can paint wires same as color of wall too or opt for a system which has wireless speakers, there are lots of systems like that in market, these days.)

Thanks

ลgǝи†.47

Codename 47
yes its not ideal but to achieve the performance for which system is designed to you need to place speakers strategically.
its my personal experience, i have Yamaha 5.1 channel audio system and i wasted two years complaining that it sounds crap as all three satellite speakers were sitting on same TV cabinet(fear of creating mess by running cables), then somebody suggested to move right and left satellite speaker to behind the seating area and it worked like never before. now it really gives feel of theater when watching a Blu ray movie.
i stapled wires nicely to top corners of wall (you can paint wires same as color of wall too or opt for a system which has wireless speakers, there are lots of systems like that in market, these days.)

Thanks

I know how they sound
I had to set up my mate's yamaha receiver and and jamo speakers

did you get a mic to setup your reciver?

deep

Prime VIP
I know how they sound
I had to set up my mate's yamaha receiver and and jamo speakers

did you get a mic to setup your reciver?
my system doesnot have a mic, its 5 DVD changer with built in amp, 2 floor standing speaker and three satellite speakers.
its old system but sounds really good, to enhance its capabilities we are pairing it with a BluRay player and smart tv.
Thanks

ลgǝи†.47

Codename 47
Oh okay
The one is setup was yamaha reciever with other speakers

As long as it sounds good thats all that matters

I got a smart tv as well and ive connected my laptop my t box and my pc wirelessly to smart tv. I can stream movies and music stored in my pc/laptop/t box wirelessly on my tv