Bravo disapproves of ICC's proposed two-tier Test system

[JUGRAJ SINGH]

Prime VIP
Staff member
Dwayne Bravo, West Indies' all-rounder, criticized the decision of the International Cricket Council (ICC) to introduce the league system in Test cricket in their bid to make the conventional format of the game more interesting.

The ICC is due to have a meeting with all its member nations to suggest the concept of promotion and relegation in Tests. The proposition is to increase the popularity of the longest form of the game, which has decreased since the introduction of Twenty20s. The plan is to implement two-tier system in the following three years.

"It will struggle because of the shorter formats of the game," the Trinidadian said on Thursday (June 2)."It's shorter, it's more entertaining, it's more fan-friendly. The kids look more towards the shorter format," he added.

Bravo, a veteran of 40 games who retired from Tests in 2015 to concentrate on limited-overs cricket, reckons it will take more than just the two divisional system to revive the format.

"I think people just have to face reality, times change. Kids realise that it will benefit them financially if they play the shorter format of the game.As a Test player, those who are in charge have to do something differently to encourage people to play Test cricket," he observed.

"As professional players, this is what you do for a living. So it's common sense, if you weight it up, if it doesn't benefit you financially - players know and make decisions for their family and their careers," Bravo noted.

Mark Wood, the England fast bowler, supported Bravo's stand and said he would rather play every nation instead of a selected few."I really like the way it was. I don't know if that would make it more competitive with the two divisions but I'd like to leave it the way it is," Wood said.

"Representing your country and playing against all countries in different conditions is a huge challenge in itself.So for me I would like it to stay as it is," he concluded.