Recipe Besan ke Ladoo Recipe

Era

Prime VIP
Cooking Time: 10 minutes.

Makes 15-16 medium sized ladoos.

Ingredients:

250 gm besan (gram flour).
250 gm powdered sugar.
4-5 ground black cardamom (badi elaichi or masala elaichi).
100 gm ghee.
Dryfruits (pistachios, cashews, almonds, etc.) chopped (optional).
Cooking the recipe.
Pour 100 grams of ghee in a non stick pan and bring to a hot temperature. (I strongly recommend using a non stick pan as the besan doesn’t stick to the pan while frying).

Once the ghee becomes quite hot, turn down the gas and after 30 seconds, add 250 grams of besan and keep stirring to avoid burning. Keep on stirring the besan and frying it in ghee until it takes a very nice medium brown colour. This is the most important step in making these ladoos. Frying besan on low heat until it turns a very nice golden brown color ensures that the raw flavor from the besan completely goes away and gives a deep, rich, nutty flavor to the ladoos.

After the besan achieves a nice color, turn off the gas and add 250 grams of powdered sugar. Make sure you use powdered sugar as if you use normal sugar, it might not dissolve completely and you might get that crunchiness of sugar in the ladoos. Mix the sugar really well in the besan and cook for additional 2-3 minutes on a low flame. Stir constantly to avoid burning.

Turn off the gas and add the ground black cardamom and mix well. You can also add green cardamoms instead of the black. I prefer this badi elaichi as I love the sharpness and contrast of the flavor against the rich ghee and sweet sugar.

Forming the Ladoos:

Spread the mixture into a large plate so that it cools off quickly. Do not try making ladoos now as the mixture will be quite hot.

Once the besan mixture cools down a bit (after 4-5 minutes), form the delicious ladoos by rolling them in your hand. Do not let the mixture cool down too much as it will be more difficult to make the ladoos with a cool mix.

With 250 grams of besan, you should be able to make 15-16 medium sized ladoos as shown in the picture. Once the ladoos cool down completely, store them in an airtight container and they will keep well for many days.