Azarenka itching for another shot at Olympics

Lily

B.R
Staff member
Madrid: Victoria Azarenka will arrive for the London Olympics with her eyes on a gold medal rather than swapping pins.

In Beijing four years ago she admits she was a wide-eyed and distracted teenager enjoying her first taste of the Olympics.

Now, the elegant Belarussian has rocketed to the top of the world rankings after winning her first grand slam singles title at the Australian Open this year.

A 26-match winning streak also secured triumphs at Sydney, Doha and Indian Wells plus more than $4 million (Dh14.6 million) in prize money.

At the Madrid Open on Tuesday, Azarenka said she had not been fully concentrating on her tennis in China in 2008 when she was knocked out by Venus Williams in the third round but will be deadly serious this year at Wimbledon.

"I don't really remember too much about playing [in Beijing] as I wasn't too focused on the tennis back then," the 22-year-old said.

"I was more focused on the experience and running around exchanging pins and stuff.

‘Unexplainable'

"It was a really great experience to feel that atmosphere in the stadium and being in the village with all the different athletes.

"I wasn't that curious back then which is a little bit disappointing but I have another opportunity to represent my country at such an event and it's just something unexplainable in words."

Azarenka said she will not be staying in the London Olympic village with other members of the Belarussian team as it is too far from the All England Club.

A tournament at Wimbledon in which players are sporting their national colours instead of the traditional white will be a novel experience, she added.

"Just the thought of playing at Wimbledon not dressed in all-white is already an extreme change," she said. "I just cannot picture the image of how it's going to be.

"It's very important for me to represent my country because you realise that there are so many people behind you and rooting for you to do well."