Asaram must apologise to Sonia Gandhi: Congress

♪ LaLLi ♪

Pêñdû™
asa.jpg
NEW DELHI: The Congress Party on Thursday hit back at Asaram Bapu after he accused Sonia Gandhi and her son Rahul of conspiring against him, and said that the self-styled godman should apologise to the UPA chairperson and the nation for his irrational remark.

"It is a very unfortunate accusation, he must apologise to Soniaji and the nation," Congress leader Rashid Alvi said.

"Who are you? Do we have no other work that we would conspire against you?" added Congress spokesperson Renuka Chowdhary.

Earlier today, the self-styled godman indirectly targeted Sonia Gandhi and Rahul Gandhi, and accused them of leveling false accusations against him in connection with the sexual assault case of a minor.

"I don't want to oppose any party but I've been told that all of this has been orchestrated by Madam and her son (Sonia Gandhi and Rahul Gandhi). So, I said, let them do whatever they are doing," Asaram Bapu said.

In an immediate u-turn, when asked, by a reporter, if he was directly accusing Sonia Gandhi of playing a part in leveling the accusations, the self-styled godman said: "No, I don't accuse anyone. I am just saying what I heard, since you (the mediapersons) asked me the question."

He also categorically ruled out that he enjoys the support any political outfit.

Asaram Bapu confirmed that he will not ask for more time, in spite of his followers flooding the streets across the country in protest of the allegations levelled against him.

According to sources, Rajasthan Police is unlikely to give more time to spiritual guru Asaram Bapu to appear for questioning in connection with a sexual assault case filed against him by a 16-year-old girl.

The girl, who is 16 years of age and from Uttar Pradesh, had made a complaint at a police station in the national capital on August 20, accusing Asaram Bapu of sexually assaulting her at his ashram in Jodhpur.

Asaram Bapu's son has defended his father in the sexual assault case, and has called the victim 'mentally unstable'.

The victim had said in her statement to the police that she was threatened by Asaram Bapu to remain silent about the incident.

A Jodhpur Police team yesterday delivered summons to Asaram in this case involving a minor.

The officials, who went to Asaram Bapu"s ashram to deliver the summons to him, asked him to appear before the Jodhpur police for questioning by August 30 in the case.

Asaram Bapu's aide Neelam Dubey has also defended him in this case of alleged sexual assault.

Asaram Bapu has been booked under Sections 376, 342, 506 and 509 of the IPC, Section 8 of the Prevention of Children from Sexual Offences Act (POCSO) and Sections 23 and 26 of the Juvenile Justice Act.