Army stages flag march in Srinagar


Srinagar, July 7

The Army staged a flag march in sensitive areas of the city here today to assist the civil administration in maintaining law and order that deteriorated as four persons had been killed and several others injured in clashes between protesters and the security forces since Monday evening. As curfew restrictions continued here and in other major towns of the Valley, protests were held in different towns outside Srinagar.

The Army staged a flag march on the Airport Road and Pantha Chowk, Batamaloo, and MA Road areas of the city, as strict curfew restrictions remained in force across the summer capital.

An indefinite curfew imposed from 4 pm yesterday remained in force today. The situation took a violent turn with the death of two civilians in the Batamaloo area and another youth in the Maisuma locality here yesterday. The clashes erupted in the Batamaloo locality this morning following the death of another youth allegedly at the hands of CRPF personnel, after his body was fished out from a stream on Monday night. The movement of people was strictly restricted here with a heavy deployment of police and CRPF personnel and the roads wore a deserted look today.

The Army’s help was requisitioned by the state authorities yesterday to help it in maintaining law and order. “We are prepared to help the civil administration as and when required,” a defence spokesman said here adding that the services would remain available as long as the government required.

To maintain peace, the curfew restrictions also remained in force in other major towns of the Valley, including Anantnag, Kulgam and Pampore in south Kashmir, Kupwara and Bandipore in north Kashmir, while restrictions were imposed in Baramulla and Sopore towns of north Kashmir.

Protests were reported from Baramulla, Kupwara and Bandipore in the north, Ganderbal and Chadoora areas in central Kashmir and Shopian in south Kashmir today.

With the death of two youths in Sopore town of Baramulla district on June 25, and three deaths in Anantnag on June 29, curfew restrictions were imposed in all major towns and townships to prevent further trouble. The deaths, 15 so far, allegedly at the hands of CRPF men during the past three weeks have led to a series of protests against human rights violations.