"arbi leaves recipe (Patore) A Himachali Dish)
- Alu (Taro/ Colocasia / Arbi) Leaves: 6
- Besan (Chickpea Flour): 1 Cup
- Green Chillies, Ginger, Garlic, Coriander Seed Paste: To Taste
- Soda: 1 Pinch
- Sesame Seeds: 1 tbsp
- Tamarind Paste: 1 tsp
- Oil for Frying
- Salt To Taste
- Wash and clean alu leaves.
- Add besan, ginger- garlic- green chillies - coriander seeds paste, salt, soda, sesame seeds, tamarind paste, and water. Make a thick mixture of all these ingredients just like pakoda batter.
- Place leaves upside down and flatten the veins of leaves by pressing rolling pin.
- Place largest leaf on flat surface. Apply some batter evenly on it. Place another leaf on this leaf and apply batter.
- Roll these leaves from the base towards the tip. Repeat this procedure for remaining leaves.
- Steam these rolls in a steamer or in a pressure cooker without pressure for 15-20 minutes. Insert knife or toothpick. It should come out clean. Remove rolls from steamer and let it cool.
- Cut these rolls into small pieces. You can eat these vadies various ways. You can spread tempering on these pieces or you can shallow fry them or deep fry them till they become golden brown.
- Sprinkle some shredded coconut or finely chopped coriander leaves on these vadies.
- Serve these vadies as a side dish or as a snack with any sauce or chutney.