Anna Hazare sent to Tihar jail for seven days

preet_singh

a¯n¯i¯m¯a¯l¯_¯l¯o¯v¯e¯r¯
New Delhi: Social activist Anna Hazare was Tuesday sent to seven days judicial custody in Tihar jail, Delhi Police said. Hazare, 74, was detained early morning, shortly before he was to begin a fast-unto-death to press for a strong, anti-corruption Lokpal Bill. "Anna Hazare denied to sign the personal bond and has been sent to seven days judicial custody in Tihar jail," Delhi Police spokesperson Rajan Bhagat said.

The Delhi Police have detained 1,400 followers of Anna Hazare, police commissioner BK Gupta said in a press conference. He said Anna has been arrested under the preventive arrest provisions of the Indian Criminal Procedure Code. Anna has been produced before a Magistrate and is currently in a police office. He said Anna and others have not been released yet as they have refused to give an "undertaking" that they will not attempt any more protests in areas under prohibitive orders.

Gupta said Anna will be sent to jail (judicial custody) if he continues to refuse to offer personal surety to the above condition. According to sources, Anna has indeed refused to give any such undertaking and is on his way to Tihar jail.

Mahaj

YodhaFakeeR
i m failing to predict mind of indian home ministry on this issue....poor performance by union HM ....i dont knoe wht r dey upto .....sumtimes i just feel that goverment is actually helping anna hazarey thru backdoor.....whos behind it ...??
aa ralle yaar..goverment te anna.....ehna release karta anna nu ..hun anna ne govt dian shartaa mann lenia...

Last edited: