An easy way to vent anger on the corrupt

Lily

B.R
Staff member
New Delhi: Are you fed up of the corruption around you and want to deal with it? Do you feel like hurling a shoe at the corrupt politician who has embezzled taxpayers' money? Do you throw a rotten egg at a policeman demanding a bribe? Well go ahead — but virtually!

In a new game Yes Prime Minister, launched by gaming site Ibibo.com, a player can build his or her own India, declare himself or herself as the prime minister and appoint one's online friends as vigilance commissioners in various departments.

Players can punish characters named Kalmaddy, Rajah, Mayawitty and Karuna Needy among others — a play on names of real-life politicians — by either putting them in jail, parading them on a donkey, hurling a shoe or hurling rotten eggs at them.

Goodwill points

For each such act the user earns goodwill points helping him to progress.

"By incorporating these interesting aspects we are letting people express themselves and allowing them to punish the corrupt," Rahul Razdan, head of gaming and communication of Ibibo.com said.

If the feedback of the players of the game is anything to go by, then the makers have hit bull's eye.

"I feel like slapping these corrupt fools looting our country. With this game I can calm myself, feel good that at least ‘virtually' I can still throw an egg on their faces," said 19-year-old Sudipta Gurung, a call centre employee.

"This was our way of providing the youth a tool to vent their anger. We have also given them a chance to build a virtual India of their choice," added Razdan.

The game further ensures that people collaborate with their online friends on Facebook and ibibo to keep corruption out from their ideal India, added Razdan.

Huge boost

The game also got a huge boost during the recent Anna Hazare agitation against corruption and, according to Razdan, the number of players swelled massively during that week early this month.

"It was pure good timing that Hazare's agitation picked up steam a few days after we had launched the game. A campaign called ‘Support Anna Hazare' was also incorporated into the game," said Razdan.

Razdan said the game was launched on April 1, and the first five days saw 50,000 users playing the game. As word spread about Hazare's agitation, 100,000 more people registered, with the total number of users reaching 150,000 by the second week of April.