American fail: Stars who can't crack the US

Lily

B.R
Staff member
588776628.jpg
Cheryl Cole's unceremonious heave-ho from the US X Factor might be a bit of an embarrassment for the star, but she can seek solace in the fact that talents greater than her have also failed to make their mark in the States. We reveal who made it and who Cole'd (new verb!) it up…

Cheryl Cole: Accent fail!

Flopped because "She just didn't help herself," a Fox exec told The Mirror. "She was offered elocution lessons and said, ‘No'. She was offered a stylist and said, ‘No'. And then she came out on the first day wearing that hideous outfit. And the reaction from Fox was, ‘What on earth is she wearing?'"

Kylie Minogue: Niche fail!

Flopped because Kyles has tried and failed many times to feel the love from America, but says she feels she didn't make it, because her music isn't easy to pigeonhole. "[They] have so many denominations with radio," she said. "To know where I fit within that market is sometimes difficult."

Oasis: Liam fail!

Flopped because Despite their second album (What's the Story) Morning Glory? reaching number four on the Billboard album charts and shifting over three million copies Stateside, Liam's refusal to board the plane to start their US tour, because he wanted to go house-hunting instead, led brother Noel to snipe, "I still blame him for the fact that we never cracked the US."

Those who made it…

Russell Brand

The former addict broke through in 2008's Forgetting Sarah Marshall and will soon star alongside Tom Cruise in Rock of Ages - winning Katy Perry's heart along the way.

Benny Hill

Brit comedian Benny, who passed away in 1992, was loved by the superstar likes of Charlie Chaplin and Michael Jackson, who, during his 1970s UK tour, declared, "I just love your Benny Hill!"

Ricky Gervais

Championed by the A-list likes of Steve Carrell and Jon Stewart, Ricky's US version of his UK show The Office became a huge hit - and Hollywood fame came a-knocking!
[/img][/COLOR]