All deposits as per norms, money was collected before note ban: Mayawati

BaBBu

Prime VIP
NEW DELHI: A day after reports of financial irregularities in their bank records emerged, BSP chief Mayawati attempted to vindicate her party by blaming the Centre of misusing its powers.

"The deposits were made following all due procedures. The money belongs to the party and is entirely accounted for. This is just the BJP misusing the state machinery to malign the BSP," Mayawati told the media at a specially convened press conference.

On Monday, Enforcement Directorate sources reported that an amount of Rs 104 crore in banned currency was deposited into the BSP's account after demonetisation came into effect on November 8.

Hitting out at the BJP, Mayawati alleged that there was a nexus between the ruling party and media to deliberately tarnish the BSP's image ahead of the 2017 Uttar Pradesh assembly polls.

"All the news channels and publications managed by the BJP twisted the figures to portray the BSP as a corrupt party. This is a political conspiracy against us," the BSP leader said.

Targeting Prime Minister Narendra Modi, Mayawati demanded that he should make public the deposits made by the BJP during the 10 months prior to November 8 and in in the period thereafter.

"If the PM possesses a degree of honesty, he should make public any major expense, statement of deposits and expenditures from the BJP's bank accounts. Let is all be out in the open," she said.

However, Mayawati derided the turn of events as an outcome she had already foreseen.

"The BJP is shaken after I exposed that it is calling the shots on the matter of forging an alliance between SP and Congress. They're now retaliating against us in this way," she said.

These actions, along with the hasty and ill-prepared decision of demonetisation will prove advantageous for the BSP, Mayawati claimed.

"I would like to express my gratitude to the BJP for taking this step. If they continue in this fashion and introduce a few more measures like demonetisation, the UP elections will be in the BSP's bag," the BSP supremo mocked.