Ae Dil Hai Mushkil row: Sanjay Manjrekar slams MNS over threat to theatre owners

Miss Alone

Prime VIP
wednesdaymushkilworkerstheaterprotestmah-1.jpg

Former cricketer and commentator Sanjay Manjrekar on Wednesday slammed the Maharashtra Navnirman Sena (MNS) for their threats to vandalise multiplexes that screen films featuring Pakistani artistes.
The MNS has warned theatre owners not to screen film-maker Karan Johar’s Ae Dil Hai Muskil, to be released on October 28, as it features Pakistani artiste Fawad Khan.
Manjrekar took potshots at the Raj Thackeray-led party, which has just one legislator in the Assembly compared to 13 in the previous Assembly, on Twitter. “One MLA party, MNS, not learning their lessons. With threats of vandalism etc they are certain to be a zero MLA party next elections,” tweeted Manjrekar.
The MNS sought to dismiss Manjrekar as non-entity. “Who is Sanjay Manjrekar? We only know Sachin Tendulkar,” said MNS corporator Sandeep Deshpande. “This man has not even won one match for India.”
Single-screen cinemas in four states, including Maharashtra, have banned films with Pakistani actors. The MNS has asked multiplexes to follow suit or face their wrath. “We will ransack the multiplexes if they go ahead with the release. There would be no compromise on nationalism,” said Ameya Khopkar, president, MNS Cine Workers’ Association.
Former Supreme Court Judge Markandey Katju, too, attacked the MNS. “Why does the MNS attack helpless people? If you are brave, come to me. I’ve a danda waiting for u and is getting impatient,” tweeted Katju.
Meanwhile, the Dombivli wing of the MNS gave a letter to PVR officials not to screen the movie.
Cricketer Gautam Gambhir on Tuesday called for a complete freeze on ties with Pakistan till cross-border terrorism does not end. “Indian lives are more important than sports. I would not even think of playing cricket with Pakistan,” he told Hindustan Times.