Abhinav Bindra reveals gun problem after Rio disappointment

Miss Alone

Prime VIP
sightbindrafbstory_647_080916013956-1.jpg

2008 Beijing Olympics Gold medallist Abhinav Bindra revealed he had issues with his gun just before the 10m Air Rifle event at Rio Olympics on Monday. The Indian shooter narrowly missed out on a Bronze after finishing fourth with a score of 162.8 in the final event. (Rio Olympics - Full Coverage)

"The morning didn't start well, the table where my rifle was placed collapsed and the sight on my gun broke. I had to go with the alternate one - which is not my best choice," Bindra told India Today in an exclusive interview after his Rio heartbreak. (Rio 2016: Well tried and hard luck, Sachin Tendulkar tells Abhinav Bindra)

Monday's disappointment will see the curtains come down on the glittering career of India's only individual Olympic gold medallist as he had earlier announced his plans of international retirement after the Rio Games.

Participating in his fifth Olympics, the 33-year-old got off to a good start with scores of 29.9 and 30.2 in the first two series placing him in the top three.

He fell to the fourth spot after a relatively poor 21.1 in the third series with a total score of 81.2. But luck favoured Bindra in the fourth series as he climbed to second with 21.5 as the other shooters in the top four also faltered.

'SOMEONE HAD TO COME FOURTH'

However, a distinct loss in concentration saw him compete in a shoot-off for the third and fourth place with Ukraine's Serhiy Kulish, the eventual Silver medallist.

"The body is going through different feelings. Shoot-offs are always a lottery. Somebody wins, somebody loses. But it wasn't one of the easiest circumstances.

"Someone had to come fourth and it was me today," Bindra said.

Bindra maintained that he gave his heart and soul for the event but even his best wasn't enough to fetch him a medal in the Air Rifle event.

"I put my heart, blood, and soul into it. I gave my best but it wasn't enough to win a medal. But it was really, really close," he said.

'DECENT CAREER'

Bindra, as usual, kept it to short sentences when he was asked to reflect on his shooting career that has spanned over five Olympic Games.

"All over. I have had a decent career." Bindra said.

"It has been a fantastic journey. I have gone to five Games, broke the Olympics record in 2004 in Athens and won a gold medal as well in Beijing. I have had a good run at the Olympics," he added.

Bindra concluded by saying that he was happy to finish his career on a high in Rio. "I am happy with the way I shot and ended my career."