Aamir Khan’s ‘Dhobi Ghat’ heads to Toronto Film Festival

chief

Prime VIP

It’s a global film

If his director wife Kiran Rao has put all her efforts and inspiration to make a film like Dhobi Ghat, the producer Aamir Khan, who also plays the lead role, is taking the film to the world. The movie premieres at Toronto International Film Festival (TIFF) on September 10.

Obviously, producer Aamir is nervous, “Getting ready to leave for Toronto… Too many nervous days too close together,” (sic) tweets Khan.

But the co-director of TIFF, Cameron Bailey, seems to be highly impressed from the film and is confident too. He tells a news agency about Dhobi Ghat, “When I saw it in July in Mumbai, I fell in love with it. It is very beautifully done. It's very provocative, romantic. It really captures the feel of Mumbai - the things I love about the city, the vibrancy of the place, the feel of its streets, and the people…”

Bailey is not only showering praises on Kiran, who he thinks has made a dream directorial debut, but also on Aamir. According to Bailey, he is ‘one of the national treasures of India.’

Dhobi Ghat is set in Mumbai and revolves around three people, Aamir (Arun, in the lead role), Monica Dogra (NRI girl Shai) and Prateik Babbar (washerboy Munna), who are separated by class and language but are drawn together in compelling relationships.

However, what comes as a disappointment is its release date, Aamir has declared that Dhobi Ghat is not coming this December like most of his films but on February next year.