A Short History on Several Jatt Clans

MaRjAnA

JaTT_On_JaunT
Gill and Shergill Jats –This is one of the largest and most important Jat tribes. They are found throughout Punjab. They are said to be descend from the Raja of Garh Mithila. The Shergills are said to have come from this great tribe. My belief is that the Gill Jats are from the Caspian Sea area, homeland of Massagetae. As the Caspian Sea was once known as the Sea of Gillan, per Sir Sikes. The plural of Gill in Punjabi is Gillan, ie Gillan De Munde. Moreover, the Gill and Gillian presence in England may well be the result of Alanic (Massagetae) settlement in 400s A.D.

Bajwa or Bajju - Its is said to be a name of a Rajput (?) guy who liked Falcons, i.e. Bazwala or Bajwala…later on butchered by Jats. Others (Ibbetson) say that the joint Jat-Rajput Bajwas claim descent from Bajwat Hills in Sialkot, which is also highly likely, as Bajwat may have been named after the Falconer. Bajwas are still found mainly in Sialkot, but have spread all the way to Patiala. I suspect that they have some degree of Greek blood as Sakala was Greek center in ancient times.

Sihota or Sahota - According to my elder sources Sihota is said to be a lion. I don’t have much information on them.

Sidhu, Brar - The Bhattis were originally its own Central Asian tribe, (as documented by Arab writers), and later married with Jats and became Jats. They later became Rajputs, which they claim descent from Lord Krishna. Cunningham think they are from Kashmir and their Capital at Gajnipur (Rawalpindi) and they are Indo-Scythians. Incidentally, the town of Bhatinda according to Dhillon was Bhatti–da and became Bhatinda. Moreover, the clan name Sidhu is said to have come from Bhatti Rajputs. Brar or Barar is said to have come from Sidhu. They are known by some as the most aristocratic of Jats due to their Rajas; Patiala, Nabha, and Jind States. Also many famous Sidhu-Barars – Sham Singh Attariwala, Dalla Brar, Sant Jarnail Singh Binderanwala, etc.

Mann, Rai - The Mann tribe of Jat is quite interesting. This is a Shiv-gotra or according to Hindus are descended from Shiva’s hair? We all know this is not the case. Mann Jats are found throughout Punjab and we all know of the English and German Manns. Moreover, the Mann last name is quite frequent in the modern Ukraine! Thus this may also be the case of Gills that the Manns may well be part of Late Massagetae or Alans! These people were also known as Saka Triguada or Pointed hat Scythians! Or even part of Goths, a partly Scythic partly Germanic (Teutonic) people. Rai is an interesting name and is found amongst Khatri, Rajputs, etc. I think it is more of a Title for them; like Rao. The Ruler of Sindh was a Jat of Rai clan, called Sahasi Rai, which is confirmed by Dhillon, Banerjea, Cunningham and upon reading of document Chachnama – regarding the Brahmans taking the Jat throne from Rai through treachery.

Sarai
– A Jat last name who also claim descent from Bhattis, although I doubt this…since the Central Asian town of Sarai-Birke was famous even up to 1300-1400’s where the Chengis Khans entered. Found chiefly in Sialkot and Gurdaspur though also other areas such as Jullundar. Some of them say they are related to Sandhus.

Virk or Birke
– Refer to the Central Asian town of Sarai-Birke. In addition, according to Dhillon perhaps related to European Burkes? Found mainly in Lahore, Amritsar, and Gujranwala, with over 132 villages in Gujranwala alone! They claim their ancestor Virak was descended from Mal, which makes them related to the Malli of Alexander! This tribe grew to great important before and during the Sikh Age.

Mangat - found in Ludhiana and Patiala Area. Also many Russian (Central Asians) have last name Mangait or Mongait, phoenetically very similar. Also, Ibbeston feels they man be similar to Mann, who also share a Central Asian origin.

Sandhu
– Very large Jat tribe. Found all over Punjab, but probably mainly in Amritsar area of Tarn Tarn. The are probably from Sialkot area as the Sandhus of Karnal worhsip Kala Mahar whose chief shrine is found in Sialkot. They are said to have fought with Mahmud Ghaznavi and possibly has came to Punjabi via Ghazni, Afghanistan. This is substantiated since they have similar customs as Sahi Jats (worship some Jhand tree), which too were once in Afghanistan.

Dhillon
– Very large Jat tribe. Found in Gujranwala and Lahore and also large amounts in Delhi area, but everywhere. Dhillons are very progressive Jat tribe with many famous names; Bhangi Misal, Partap Singh Kairon, PS Badal, etc. However, in regards to the origins, I (along with Prof. Dhillon) feel that the Dhillons also have Central Asian origin as European Dillons are found in England and France; thus probably an Alanic influence similar to Gill, Mann, etc.

Kang Jats
– Dahiya has linked Kang’s with the Chinese Kang Shi (I thought of this, but not sure) a Central Asian tribe pushed into India by Ta Yue Chi (Chinese word for Massagetae). Kangs are found in Ambala and Ferozpure, but also in Doaba. We all know the famous Tara Singh Gheba who was Kang Jat. They too trace origins to Afghanistan.

Bhullar – They are in group of Shiv Gotra or asl or true Jats; like the Her and Mann. Found in Lahore and Ferozpore, but also throughout. We all know who Rai Bhullar was.

Chatta – They claim to descend from Pritvi Raj Chauhan, see Chohan Jats. Found in Gujranwala. Related to Cheemas

Cheema
– related to Chauhans and Chattas. Found in Sialkot, Gujranwala, etc.

Nagras
– said to be offshoot of Chimas. Some found in Doaba.

Kahlon
– Said to have Rajput ancestry, but I doubt it. They have marriage customs similar to Sahi Jat thus Afghanistan; and are found in Gurdaspur and Sialkot.

Ghumman
– Same customs as Sahi Jats, also found in Sialkot.

Grewal - They have held important positions in British and India military, civil, police services, and politics. Grewal or Garewal As per Dhillon this clan hold 75 villages in Ludhiana Area. The Grewal Jats of Kila Raipur, Gujarwal (probably named after Grewals, as per Dhillon), and Naurangwal are the proudest of the Grewal Jats. Many Grewals freely entered British service and made great soldiers. They claim descent from Raja Rikh or Rick as per Barstow. The other Jats in Ludhiana area called these Grewal Sahu meaning they were of more nobility probably since they were generally more well-to-do and their women did not work in the field with men. Grewals to the best of my knowledge are generally confined to the areas mention in Ludhiana block of 75 villages.
Major Barstow writes in 1928, The Garewal families of Kila Raipur, Gujarwal, and Naurangwal has a sort of local authority at the close of the 18th Century, and are in consequence the proudest of the Jats. I think this means that they were probably the most well-settled Jats in this area, even today these Grewals own most of the land in that village.

Dhillon

Dhillon Sa'aB™
Staff member
Dhillon – Very large Jat tribe. Found in Gujranwala and Lahore and also large amounts in Delhi area, but everywhere. Dhillons are very progressive Jat tribe with many famous names; Bhangi Misal, Partap Singh Kairon, PS Badal, etc. However, in regards to the origins, I (along with Prof. Dhillon) feel that the Dhillons also have Central Asian origin as European Dillons are found in England and France; thus probably an Alanic influence similar to Gill, Mann, etc.

Niceee :wig

MaRjAnA

JaTT_On_JaunT
Gill and Shergill Jats –This is one of the largest and most important Jat tribes. They are found throughout Punjab. They are said to be descend from the Raja of Garh Mithila. The Shergills are said to have come from this great tribe. My belief is that the Gill Jats are from the Caspian Sea area, homeland of Massagetae. As the Caspian Sea was once known as the Sea of Gillan, per Sir Sikes. The plural of Gill in Punjabi is Gillan, ie Gillan De Munde. Moreover, the Gill and Gillian presence in England may well be the result of Alanic (Massagetae) settlement in 400s A.D.:cool :cool :cool :cool :cool :cool

arsh brar

Sidhu, Brar
- The Bhattis were originally its own Central Asian tribe, (as documented by Arab writers), and later married with Jats and became Jats. They later became Rajputs, which they claim descent from Lord Krishna. Cunningham think they are from Kashmir and their Capital at Gajnipur (Rawalpindi) and they are Indo-Scythians. Incidentally, the town of Bhatinda according to Dhillon was Bhatti–da and became Bhatinda. Moreover, the clan name Sidhu is said to have come from Bhatti Rajputs. Brar or Barar is said to have come from Sidhu. They are known by some as the most aristocratic of Jats due to their Rajas; Patiala, Nabha, and Jind States. Also many famous Sidhu-Barars – Sham Singh Attariwala, Dalla Brar, Sant Jarnail Singh Binderanwala, etc.

:chewchalo vadiya e :rolleyes:.....

simchahal

Good to Know Info...Kithhe tak Dhungiyan aa Saadiyan Jarhan...
Par Chahal Bhul gaye bai ji...And m sure Chahal is also HQ Jatt Clan (Kaum) :-D :-D

Grewal - They have held important positions in British and India military, civil, police services, and politics. Grewal or Garewal As per Dhillon this clan hold 75 villages in Ludhiana Area. The Grewal Jats of Kila Raipur, Gujarwal (probably named after Grewals, as per Dhillon), and Naurangwal are the proudest of the Grewal Jats. Many Grewals freely entered British service and made great soldiers. They claim descent from Raja Rikh or Rick as per Barstow. The other Jats in Ludhiana area called these Grewal Sahu meaning they were of more nobility probably since they were generally more well-to-do and their women did not work in the field with men. Grewals to the best of my knowledge are generally confined to the areas mention in Ludhiana block of 75 villages.
Major Barstow writes in 1928, The Garewal families of Kila Raipur, Gujarwal, and Naurangwal has a sort of local authority at the close of the 18th Century, and are in consequence the proudest of the Jats. I think this means that they were probably the most well-settled Jats in this area, even today these Grewals own most of the land in that village.
kaim:ttw

U

Unregistered

Mangat - found in Ludhiana and Patiala Area. Also many Russi

Mangat - found in Ludhiana and Patiala Area. Also many Russian (Central Asians) have last name Mangait or Mongait, phoenetically very similar. Also, Ibbeston feels they man be similar to Mann, who also share a Central Asian origing.
Bahut vdiya lagga eh pata lga ke..... dhanvaad veere for this post!

U

Unregistered

Mangat - found in Ludhiana and Patiala Area. Also many Russian (Central Asians) have last name Mangait or Mongait, phoenetically very similar. Also, Ibbeston feels they man be similar to Mann, who also share a Central Asian origing.
Thx for d post JATTO! swaad aa gya! ghatto ghatt pata taan lagga apni Goat(surname) baaare!!

Dholcutznet

DC-Where Quality Matters
@parvkaur
@[Thank You Baba]
@
MaRjAnA
we killed the
Alexander the Great. :P

Malhi (मल्ही) Malli (मल्ली)
is a Jat Gotra or clan from the North Indian state of Punjab.

Malhi clan is most famous for its association with the death of Alexander the Great. It is believed that Alexander the great died from a spear thrown by the Malhi clan as he tried to invade their fortress during his retreat from Northern India.

M

Meena Toot

Toot is the number Bon Jatt people. We own all furniture store.