4 of family killed in fire after daughter’s midnight birthday party in Delhi

Miss Alone

Prime VIP


Four people of a family, including two kids, died and two others were injured due to ‘asphyxiation’ in an early morning fire in a four-storey building in Dilshad Garden area of north-east Delhi on Friday. The family had gone to sleep after celebrating the birthday of Harshu who had turned 12. She was killed in the fire along with her younger brother, father and grandfather.

Fire department officials said while the fire was ‘mild’, the victims died of suffocation as the first-floor of the building got filled with smoke due to the fire in the two-wheelers parked on the ground floor. Fire started from the electricity metre board installed on the ground floor of the building.

“Two male and two children have died in the incident. Two women were also in injured in the incident. The four dead and one injured woman are from the same family. It seems the first-floor family tried to escape and got trapped in the smoke as the victims were found dead on the staircase of the building,” chief fire officer Atul Garg told Hindustan Times. The victims were identified as Vijay Kumar Verma (63), Sanjay Verma (45), Harshu (12), Chiku (4). The children’s mother, Mona Verma, was admitted to a hospital with 40% burns.

Occupants of the other floors escaped the fire as they went out in their balcony or on the rooftop, Garg added.

Fire department officials said 11 fire tenders were pressed into service to douse the fire. However, the help got delayed as the fire tenders could not reach the spot due to the parked vehicles on both sides of the colony road.

“The fire fighters along with the locals had to lift parked cars manually in order to make way for the tenders,” Garg said.

As per initial probe, fire started from the electricity metre box installed on the ground floor. “The fire soon also spread to two-wheelers parked close by. Eleven two-wheelers have also been gutted in the fire,” Grag added.

Dilshad Garden had witnessed a similar incident in February last year when a family of four died in an early morning fire that broke out in north east Delhi’s Dilshad Garden. A short-circuit was suspected to be the cause.

The deceased were identified as Pradeep Jaiswal (59), his son Rajan (34), Rajan’s wife Anuja (33) and their son Anshul (8). The Jaiswals ran a dry cleaning unit at their flat in the M block DDA colony of Dilshad Garden.
 
Top