30-year-old doctor commits suicide in East Delhi

Miss Alone

Prime VIP
A 30-year-old doctor with the at AIIMS Trauma Centre allegedly committed suicide in her flat in East Delhi’s IP Extension on Thursday morning.
Her family said she was being harassed by her husband and in-laws. Police said they did not file a case.
Ritu Bangoti, an anaesthetist, took her life by injecting a fluid, police said. She was married to Brajesh, an Air India pilot, since May 5, 2013. They have a two year-old daughter.
Ritu’s father DS Bhandari said she was threatened by her in-laws and harassed for dowry. He said even after paying a dowry of Rs 6 lakh, the harassment continued.
“Ritu’s in-laws had not spoken to her in a month and did not let her meet her daughter either. They alleged she was neglecting her household responsibilities due to her job,” said Bhandari.
Ritu’s brother Vinod Bhandari, said she often complained of mistreatment.
Bhandari said Ritu had come to stay with her parents on Wednesday, as she was thrown out of the house . “ On Thursday morning, she left home around 6:30 am to go for work, but said she had to stop at her in-law’s house to pick up her phone. She even asked me to call her two hours later,” he said.
Ritu’s father said he received a call at around 9:30 am from Ritu’s in-laws, who told him she had locked herself inside her room and refused to come out.
“They called us again at 12:30 pm asking us to come over and convince Ritu to open the door. We left around 1:30 pm and reached Ritu’s home half-an-hour later. We pushed the door and found her unconscious. We took her to a hospital, where doctors declared her brought dead,” he said.
Vinod claimed he saw a two-page suicide note, which was allegedly destroyed by the in-laws later on. He claimed the note was later discovered in the toilet’s flush tank.
“The door of the room where my sister was found dead was not difficult to open, as her in-laws had said it was. Even if it was, they should have broken in themselves, instead of waiting for us. We came and simply pushed the door open, which is something they could have done as well. If they had reached her sooner, her life could have been saved.” 
Bhandari alleged he saw injury marks around her neck and collarbone.
Ritu’s in-laws refused to speak to HT.
Police said they were conducting inquest proceedings and that the matter is being investigated by a sub-divisional magistrate. Only a post-mortem would confirm the cause of death, they said.