15-year old arrested for Nitin Garg's murder in Australia

MELBOURNE: A 15-year-old boy was arrested in Australia today in connection with the murder of Indian student Nitin Garg, who was stabbed to death in January this year, sending shock waves back home.

The teenager was arrested by the Victoria police in the western Melbourne suburb of Yarraville at about 9 am (local time) today and homicide detectives said he was expected to be charged with one count of murder.

A Victoria Police spokeswoman said detectives had also spoken to other people in relation to Garg's murder, and the investigation is continuing.

The accused is expected to face a Children's Court later today, the Victoria police said in a statement.

Garg, 21, was stabbed as he walked through Cruickshank Park, in Melbourne's west, on his way to work at a Yarraville Hungry Jack's outlet after 9.30 pm on January 2.

After the stabbing Garg staggered to the fast food outlet, at the corner of Somerville and Geelong roads, and died a short time later.

He was not robbed and his belongings were left scattered in the park where he was killed.

The murder came in the midst of a series of attacks on Indians in Australia that shocked Indians back home.

The issue was taken up by the Indian government at the highest level with External Affairs Minister S M Krishna condemning the incident and calling for bringing those responsible to book.

Victorian Police has said there was no race angle involved in the murder, according to media reports.

Detective Inspector Bernie Edwards of the Homicide Squad said police believed race was not a factor in the murder.

"Our inquiries, at this stage... we don't believe it was racially motivated," he said, adding Garg's family in India had been notified of the arrest.

Edwards said the murder weapon had not been found and the murder is not believed to be gang-related.

A Victoria police spokeswoman said detectives had also spoken with other people in relation to Garg's murder, and the investigation is continuing.