lovable_mani

got my love
[FONT=&quot] CV-Resume[/FONT]:definition
In what way is the Curriculum Vitae different from a Resume?​
Different terminology is applied in different countries:
Resume is used exclusively in the USA.

CV is used in Europe, America, Asia and Africa.​
Different content and objectives.
Resume: emphasizes information on the experience, abilities and studies relevant for the objectives that must be fulfilled in a certain position for which you are applying, or in which selection process you are taking part.
CV: is a compilation of all the academic data and experience of a person throughout their life (as vitae indicates the Latin term life), unrelated to the position you are applying for or in which selection process you are taking part. The structure usually is personal data, academic, experience, languages, computer science and other data, all in chronological order.​
Type of company and position to which it should be directed.
Resume: Commercial positions, directors, media, audio-visual, creative...

CV: More appropriate for academic positions, scientists, doctors, research, technologies....​
What do you want to do?
Resume: Do you want to work in the USA?​
How to turn your CV into a good and effective Resume.
If you want to opt for a certain position and/or to make a change of profession in your career the first thing to do is to discard the idea that it is an account of your experience, preparation and achievements and that it is the same for all positions and/or companies. Your objective is to obtain an interview and to convince the interviewer that you are the perfect candidate for the position. "the presentation has to be taylor-made", is the fundamental characteristic of resumes: Write and reflect the experience, achievements and objectives for that position in particular, so that the person responsible for inviting you to the interview knows, in advance, that you satisfy the characteristics required to perform the functions inherent to the position. You can omit the academic / work experience that is not related or summarise in a phrase (in an interview there is always time to explain everything that one has done in life).​
CV-Resume: resume tips
- One or two pages at the most

- White paper or very clear colour and good quality, without any décor.

- Typed form, avoid writing your resume by hand, except for a company that asks for it like that.

- Do not include the letter’s date in your resume

- You do not have to enclose supporting documents, unless they are asked for.

- Avoid sending photocopies of your resume

- Never include a resume cover.

- You have to transmit clarity and professionalism visually (white paper, short phrases, capital letters and with standard format, elegant and simple; emphasize certain information or sections in bold).

- Use action verbs in your resume

- Avoid using too many decorative resources like fitting, colours or very expanded paragraphs.

- Be honest in the content, positive and sell the best things about you when you write a resume

- Write well and have the spelling checked before sending your resume. Use different synonyms to avoid both repetitions and the image of limited lexicon richness and, therefore, little verbal fluidity. Do not use abbreviations, except when they are the recognised ones in our language (for example: Av. - avenue , St.- street...)

- Structure the resume based on what you consider to be your strong points for that position: abilities and achievements first, or experience in several similar positions. If a certain academic title is an essential requirement, you can write it before the experience). Do not forget that it is a "taylor made suit for the position you want to obtain", not a complete history of your life.

- Write in inverse chronological order the experience and achievements that you consider most relevant to the position you want to get

- Always stress how you have solved problems, your abilities, your contribution to the improvements obtained in your work and your company.

To avoid:

- Do not write a title (we already know that it’s a RESUME or CV)

- Do not speak of economic objectives in your resume.

- The reasons for change or not working you will explain at the interview. Do not write anything in the resume.

- Photograph: only if requested.

- Use general vocabulary, not technical, colloquial words or slang, which cannot be understood.

- References: not to be annexed to the resume . It is not a book where bibliography is added​
CV-Resume: content
OBJECTIVE SECTION
- Optional, but highly recommended.
• Include type of position or occupational field you wish to enter, skills, experience, and background you have to offer, and any special interests or areas of focus.​
EDUCATION SECTION
• List institution name, post secondary degree(s) received and dates earned or expected
• Include major, minor, area of concentration, specialization, or certifications.
• List city & state when looking outside of state where employers may be unfamiliar with your college location.
• Don’t include institutions you attended, but didn’t receive a degree from, GPAs under 3.0, and years enrolled.
• This category may be a separate section or divided into subsections depending on the information presented.
• May include relevant courses and skills/knowledge learned, special projects, G.P.A. if over 3.0, honors, awards, scholarships, thesis, research projects, percent of college expenses earned, extracurricular activities.​
EXPERIENCE SECTION
– Required.
• List paid and unpaid experiences, internships, co-ops, volunteer activities, fieldwork, student teaching, etc.
• Include position title, employer or setting, city, state, and dates. (Place in reverse chronological order).
• Emphasize responsibilities, accomplishments, and skills. Think - How? Why? Results?​
ADDITIONAL INFORMATION SECTIONS
- Optional
• Title this category(s) according to type of information presented.
• May include professional/student associations and positions held, athletic participation, extracurricular activities, special skills (computer, languages, etc.), certifications, licensures, publications, military or community service experience, interests, etc.​
REFERENCE SECTION
– Recommended.
• Provides closure to the resume, but not needed if space is an issue.
• Include the statement - References Available.
• Do not list your reference’s names and contact information on your resume. Include this information
• If you have a portfolio, you may indicate in this statement that it is also available. The following information is not included on a resume, however, you may need it when completing application forms:
• Name, location, and dates of attendance for each institution you attended.
• Complete street address, zip code, phone number, name of supervisor, and salary history for each employment and professionally related experience.
• Name, business title, business address and phone number for each reference. You should also be able to provide your relationship with each reference and the length of that relationship.​
CV-Resume: resume writing types
Each type of resume emphasizes different aspects of the studies or experience of the candidate. Depending of the experience the candidate has or not, there are different styles:​
Without experience Resume
Objective of this resume: to show the capacity and the potential of the candidate. What they offer in particular that is different to other candidates. Normally, experience is very limited (less than two years) or none, since they are finishing their studies. Therefore it is necessary to concentrate in of abilities, knowledge, achievements obtained in studies, qualifications, acquired responsibilities, voluntary work, trips, languages....​
Professional Resume
Professional resume is a style used for people who already have a minimum experience of 3-5 years and that are in intermediate positions at responsibility level. It concentrates on the obtained objectives, solution of problems, applied abilities, promotion and development of the career. Studies have less importance than the acquired experience.​
Executive Resume
Executive Resume is used for people in high positions. It concentrates on the objectives obtained as a director of a department or company, solution of problems, leadership, development of projects, use of abilities and motivation of team. In summary, to emphasize the competencies that they have and that are applied.​
CV-Resume: resume format
The candidate has different options of format to present/display the information on experience and studies: The most usual are:

Chronological resume

Functional resume

Combined resume

Personal data

Chronological resume
Habitually used resume format that does not always make the main target easier: TO OBTAIN AN INTERVIEW

The academic education (including masters and seminaries) and the experience appear in inverse chronological order, beginning by the present or last work and later the previous ones, and finishing with the studies:

Disadvantages of this format: it shows the periods of inactivity (months, years) and/or the very frequent changes of work. This often makes the candidate cover these spaces with irrelevant information for the position.

It emphasizes the person’s progression in work: promotion and increase of responsibilities are reflected, which has the disadvantage of showing if a person, although very effective in his or her work and satisfied with their role, has not ascended or taken more responsibilities.

When to use the chronological resume

If you have a good professional experience.

If you haven’t had periods without work.

If you have not changed jobs much.

If you are looking for work in the same type of sector.

If you have worked in an important company and you think that this represents "a good calling card”.

Advantages:

The format is traditional and accepted by most of the selection departments.

Easy to read and understand.

It shows your job stability.

It reflects your increase of responsibilities and/or promotion.

It emphasizes the type of position and the companies in which you have worked.

It describes your roles and achievements.

Disadvantages:

It emphasizes your change of company.

It may focus too much on your age.

It may show a lack of recycling or updating training.

It reflects the gaps in work activity.

Functional resume
The resume functional avoids the disadvantages of the chronological resume type and facilitates the exhibition of abilities and achievements obtained, although the dates in the work experience are not continuous, helping to disguise the periods of inactivity or successive similar jobs without promotion. The functional resume type is used when you want to highlight the professional career or enter a totally different activity in which the type of company and/or studies is not relevant but the abilities, capacities and type of work are.

You can use the functional resume:

If you want to emphasize your abilities over the duration of your work experience.

If you want to return to the job market after a period of inactivity.

If there are many periods of unemployment between each job.

If you have changed jobs quite often.

If you are looking for a job in a completely different sector.

If you think that your age can be a barrier ("very young, very old").

If you have worked as a freelance / self-employed.

If you have just graduated, without experience.

If you have had military experience or volunteered.

If you have been a businessman.

Advantages

It shows the person’s capacities and strengths.

It allows you to reflect the abilities and knowledge that are more relevant to the position you want to obtain.

It eliminates the role repetition in similar positions.

Flexibility to present /display your person and achievements obtained

Useful in new technologies, Internet, telecommunications, media, publicity....

You can speak of abilities, interests, motivations, that you do not always use in your work, but which may be useful.

Disadvantages:

It does not emphasize the names of the companies for which you have worked.

The period of time in each position is not important.

It limits the description of the position and its responsibilities.

Combined resume
Combined resume format mixes the previous formats (chronological resume and functional resume). The resume begins with the functional format resume and finishes with the chronological format resume. The combined resume format is more difficult to write and more complex but it has the advantage of emphasising the experience and abilities that the candidates have towards the new position they are applying for, as well as to reflect in a dynamic format their experience and training.

Advantages

It shows very clearly that you know what you want to do and that you have the capabilities necessary to carry out the position.

It includes the section "Goals Achieved".

It allows more flexibility and creativity in reflecting abilities.

It helps to obtain a particular position, something you can’t achieve by leaving your resume or CV in a database (?) (very usual at jobsites).

Disadvantages

You need a different summary for each job that you choose. It is time-consuming.

It eliminates information on your abilities and experience that you may prefer to exclude if you are applying for more than one position in the same company.

Personal data
- Essential: Full name, date of birth, address and telephone (landline and/or mobile) and email if you have.

- Not necessary nor compulsory: civil status, children, age, race, religious beliefs.

- ID or passport is not necessary, but it is certain that there are companies whose computerised database requires the introduction of and ID in order to store the rest of the data.

- Nationality and work permits: it depends on the place where you have chosen to work. If it is Spain and you are either a Spaniard or a European Union citizen, just state your nationality. Other nationals need to state if they have a residency or a work permit.

- Photograph: it is not necessary to send it, except at the request of the company making the selection.​
CV-Resume: how to write a resume
The information you display in your resume must be clear, concise and logical. Make sure it contains no mistakes that can confuse the reader. People in charge of selection do not spend more than 10 seconds scanning your resume to see if they will read it or not, and about 30 seconds reading it to take a decision on inviting you or not to an interview. DO NOT FORGET THIS! For each position they may receive 300-400 applications.

Before writing up and sending your resume you must ask yourself a few questions. Write the answers and later there will be time to shape the resume

- What do I think the company and/or the selector are looking for?

- What abilities are required in somebody to develop and carry out the position?

- What achievements and functions in previous positions have I carried out that can help me to do well in my new job?

- Do I have the correct academic preparation? Have I updated my knowledge?

- Do I speak languages?

- Do I have other life experiences that have helped me to develop skills and capacities to solve problems? (for example travelling abroad alone, volunteering in some NGO, taking on responsibilities at university...)

- What type of position is ideal for me? Do I like to work alone or in a team? Am I creative or do I prefer to be directed in a project?

- What did I like about my previous position? What aspects or functions I would rather skip this time?

- For what reasons am I changing or looking for a new job? Always be honest in the answer. It is not necessary to lie, but neither is it necessary to give all the details or to speak ill of the company and ex-colleagues/bosses.

- Are there periods of inactivity in my professional history? How I can explain them positively? What have I learned and what abilities have I used, for example travelling, taking care of my children, looking for work for a long time...

Organize the answers in blocks, like this:

1. What is my objective? What level of responsibility am I looking for?

2. Summary of abilities, acquired skills and knowledge.

3. Experience.

4. Studies/training.

5. Use of computer programs/Internet.

6. Languages.

7. Points of interest that I want to emphasize: things I like, interests, voluntary work.

When you write the CV or resume you must present what you want to communicate with your resume: the information the resumet contains is relevant. It is only necessary to reflect your interests and hobbies if they are relevant to the position to which you are applying; for example, if you like to read, and the position is in mass media, or for example you like sports and you decide on a position in a sports company.

If you are a volunteer and help people but you choose a sales position, it is possible that the selector might think that you are not going to meet the hard and competitive nature of a commercial position, where people often come second after sales and targets.​
Resume help: do not forget...
- Your resume or CV is useful for your future, not for your past!!

- You are not confessing, "you do not have to say/write everything ". It emphasizes what is relevant and what is worth remembering.

- Do not write a list of positions carried out and their description. Write achievements and goals obtained!

- Reflect those abilities you best know how to apply and that you enjoy in work. Do not write things that you do not want to repeat.

- Always be honest (I don’t get tired of repeating this advice). It is possible to be creative, but not to lie.​
CV-Resume: The cover letter
The cover letter is a document of equal importance to the resume.

The resume cover letter is the first impression the selector will have of the candidate and its negative or positive impact is going to influence his or her further reading (or not ) the CV or resume.

A Cover Letter must be very professional, well written, without misspellings. The content directly explains the candidate meets the requirements for the position, emphasizing and directing the attention of the selector towards the abilities, skills and knowledge the candidate has proved, with concrete examples based on previous experience or non-work experience (if you have never worked or have been outside the job market for a while).​
Why is the resume cover letter useful?
- Cover letter highlights the difference with the rest of candidates.

- Cover letter has to convince the selector to invite you to an interview.

- Cover letter shows your motivation.

- Cover letter reflects your skills for written communication.​
CV-Resume: How to write a cover letter
- Paragraph 1: present and explain the aim of the cover letter.

- Paragraph 2: why you are interested in the company that you are writing to, in this very industry and in this particular position.

- Paragraph 3: what you contribute (achievements, experience); abilities and capacities that you will use to carry the position’s functions.

The order of paragraphs two and three can vary based on how you want to write the cover letter.

- Paragraph 4: invitation to the interview. Be creative when finishing the letter; do not use the expression "I wait for your call". Mention that you can call to arrange an appointment or meeting, not an interview.

- Warm goodbye, full name and sign the letter.
CV-Resume: Tips writing a cover letter
- The cover letter must be directed to somebody in particular (avoid using phrases like “dear sir/madam” or “to whom it may concern”). You should try to find out the name of the person with hiring power. If this is not possible, you may address the letter to a title or to the Human Resources department.

- Consider the cover letter as a business letter, a professional one.

- Never more than a page for writing a resume cover letter

- Quality paper, white or very clear (same type and colour of paper that was used to print the resume).

- Brief explanation of what you offer and want, without forgetting that the cover letter must be in accordance with what the company needs.

- Bring (from your CV or resume) only aspects relevant to the position (abilities, capacities, achievements). Do not make a new summary of your resume. Your resume talks about you, your cover letter about the company, the target…

- Use the cover letter to convince, to persuade the reader that you are the most appropriate candidate for the position, that you can perform the functions.

- Show enthusiasm and interest in the company. Write something about the company or industry that shows you know about them.

- Check your spelling, grammar and expressions before approving the letter.

- Use short phrases, concise but with a rich lexicon writing a cover letter. No more than four or five paragraphs.

- Avoid very formal expressions and facts. The cover letter is a measure of what you want to obtain.

- Use action verbs writing a cover letter.

- Do not overuse "I", it can give an egocentric image of the candidate.

- Do not use copies of cover letters or paragraphs previously used for other selection processes. Send an original cover letter to each employer.

- Write a resume cover letter in a creative way, oriented towards the client (the company), be flexible and always willing to work in a team and learn.​
CV-Resume: Cover letter FAQ
Why write cover letter instead of sending only the resume?
- Writing a cover letter you are sure that you do not forget important things, excludes misunderstandings and also serves as reminder.

- You can select yours words and context meanings carefully.

- Because of the one-way-communication, you are able to structure your line of reasoning, without interference, thus not only gaining time, but also influencing the other part more effectively in less time.

- People take the written words with more attention than a phone call to introduce your resume, and always not interrupting to other people in their work​
Can a resume cover letter be personal and effective?
- Everyone of us must have the experience of receiving letters that could have been written for any person; nothing shows the sender is directing him/herself to you especially. The use of standard phrases leaves the reader (in this case the Human resources manager) to think that they and the company are not important for the person who is writing the cove letter. The can be read with “half attention”….

Sample:

- If your start the cover letter with: “your advertisement in the …. Of…..where you ask for a …..”

The manager will not be surprised and will search for the real start of the letter.

You will want him to think from the moment he starts reading, that your letter is worth reading a lot more than all the others: SO, BE ORIGINAL!!

- Always remember that the letter you write is representing you and you want to be invited for a interview and show that you are the most suitable candidate for the position you are applying.​
The letter as image-builder
Imaging reading a letter with the following sentences:

- In reference to your advertisement of … looking for….

- Please, find enclose..

- Thanking you in advance…

- I hope to be invited for a personal interview…

You will not think the person responsible for selecting people and making interviews, knows you: Your cover letter is formal, standard .

The text are always the same, and nothing change if your write to one or thousands companies.

The text in this kind of cover letters lack character, personality and impact. The overall image will be one of pure routine.

If you learn to be creative, you can change your way of thinking and your creative sentences can be used more than one also.

Show in your cover letter something more about you than only the academic background and experience. Show your interest in that company, show the skills you have and you have developed in many professional and personal areas…​
Disadvantage of writing a resume cover letter…
A cover letter lacks intonation, facial expression and posture (body-language). This has to by balanced by the careful selection of words, action verbs and creative writing skills.​
CV-Resume: Sample cover letters
Sales representative cover letter:
Date: Tues, 10 April 2003 18:25:13

Subject: Regional Sales Manager (mtt-02/8755)

To: paul.watson@hilton.com

Dear Mr. Watson,

Having broken sales records and exceeded sales quotas in all my previous positions and recently completed my MBA in marketing from the School of Managerial Leadership at California State University, I am an ideal candidate for the regional sales manager position at Hilton Resorts in US and Mexico

As the leading sales representative for Disney Vacation Club, I developed key sales material, trained new sales reps, and reinvented the way club memberships are sold. My team's revenue was more than double the average for the entire operation.

The vacation club industry is a dynamic and growing industry, and I am convinced I can help Hilton grow its reputation and dominant position in the industry.

We should meet to discuss the position. I will contact you in the next 10 days to arrange an interview. Should you have any questions before that time, please feel free to call me at 901-111-2233 or email me. Thank you for your time and consideration.

Cordially,

John Smith​
CV-Resume: FAQ
What can I don if my experience is not relevant for the position I am applying for?
Think about the abilities and capacities that you can transfer and would be applicable to the new job. Remember what you have acquired in your previous work or other activities and/or experiences in your life: to work under pressure, in a team, using languages in your work or when you travel, communication skills, knowing how to carry out or compile reports, to convince people (in social situations, your friends, to negotiate the rent for a house...)​
How to explain the periods of work inactivity?
All along, have you been sitting on the sofa or have you done things? Think, it is possible that you dedicated yourself to update your knowledge or to study IT, languages, or you have decided to have children and dedicate your time to them, which demonstrates your capacity for organization, forecasting, taking into account details and "to work under pressure, without time to rest and in a very noisy atmosphere ". Reflect and explain in your CV the abilities learned and how to solve problems.​
I have a lot of work experience, but... I have never made a resume
After a long time working, looking for employment can be very difficult. IT IS possible that you only filled out a form 15-20 ago years and since then you have worked in the same company or you have always been contacted and offered new jobs. At this moment you must raise the most important things, the achievements attained, and plan all the information that you consider interesting for the position you choose.​
I have spent a while travelling. How I can reflect this in an interesting way in my resume?
Write about the situations that you have had to solve and the experiences that have had the biggest impact on you and conclude with what you have learned (always in relation to the position or functions that you are aiming for).​
Does it adequately reflect the temporary work carried out while studying or were you looking for a job suited to your preparation and experience?
In a CV of two pages you are not going to make a list of all the temporary jobs you have had, but emphasise those in which you have been able to apply your knowledge and abilities or in which after a few days they gave you more responsibility, even though it was in a short time space.​
CV-Resume: Sample resumes
Sample resume: Professional and functional format
JONATHAN BLOGGS

2 Any Road, London, AN1 1CV

Telephone: 020 7111 2233 (Home); 07957 111 222 (Mobile)

Email: jon@email.com
Professional Profile

I am an enthusiastic and professional Web Designer, who enjoys being part of, as well as leading, a successful and productive team. I am quick to grasp new ideas and concepts, and to develop innovative and creative solutions to problems. I am able to work well on my own initiative and can demonstrate the high levels of motivation required to meet the tightest of deadlines. Even under significant pressure, I possess a strong ability to perform effectively.

Objective

I am now looking to build on my extensive range of technical skills within a suitably challenging role. I am keen to achieve further professional development.

Key Technical Skills

Adobe PhotoShop Macromedia Dream Weaver QuarkXPress

Adobe Illustrator Macromedia Flash Strata Studio Pro (3D)

Adobe Premiere Macromedia Director FTP Programs

Adobe After Effects Poser Bryce 3D

Adobe Acrobat QTVR Microsoft Excel

Microsoft PowerPoint Equilibrium Media Cleaner Pro

Career Summary

2003-date WebMaster, Graphics Master, Belfast, Northern Ireland

• Working within a major print design company, tasked with developing their fledgling Web Department

• Assessing initial set-up requirements and implementing hardware and software solutions accordingly

• Training my team in the use of QuarkXPress, Beyond Press Pro, PhotoShop, Dream Weaver, Media Cleaner Pro, QTVR & Adobe Premier

• Coordinating closely with Account Executives, actively soliciting new clients and nurturing existing client accounts, ensuring their needs and requirements were not only accommodated but surpassed

• Winning over many clients from larger companies, due to the extremely high standards of our creative design work

• Training clients in subsequent website maintenance, particularly the use of Dream Weaver and its inbuilt FTP facility

• Initiating a company-wide changeover to a much faster ISP with enhanced technical support

• Clients include major blue chip companies such as the British Land Company and Millennium Diamonds as well as many high profile government departments and agencies

Selected Portfolio

www.website.com anotherwebsite.com

onewithtext.com St Quintin & McConnell - Estate and Letting Agents - home page

www.onewithgraphics.com Third Eye Graphics™ Los Angeles | Ingenuity one pixel at a time™

www.personalwebsite.com www.onemoreexample.com

Formal Qualifications

National Diploma in Graphic Design & Multimedia

Dublin Institute of Technology, Dublin, Ireland (2000-2003)

Key Modules:

Web Design Visual Communication

Multimedia Print Design

Typography Photography

Following attainment of my Leaving Certificate, I embarked on a National Diploma in Graphic Design & Multimedia to formalise both my design skills and my creative experience. Via mock client briefs, addressing realistic commercial projects, I studied web design, typography, CAD, the print process, illustration and multimedia applications. The final examination of the Diploma consisted of an exhibition of project work (multimedia, CD-ROM and accompanying web page and associated print materials). A dissertation on an individually selected design topic was also completed and submitted.

I obtained a First Class Honours in Multimedia and Web Design and also won the Multimedia Student of the Year Award and Best Use of a Mac Award.

Personal Details

Date of Birth: 12/09/80 Languages: Fluent French & German

Nationality: British Health: Excellent; non-smoker

Interests & Activities

Currently include: Photography, Theatre & Amateur Dramatics, Football & Golf

References are Available on Request
Sample resume: Experienced and combined format
ANN J. EXAMPLE

3 Any Road, Any Town, Manchester, AN1 1CV

Telephone: 0111 899 2255

Mobile: 07777 111 222

Fax: 0111 805 3599

Email: marydoe12@aol.com

PROFESSIONAL PROFILE

I am an enthusiastic and dedicated professional with extensive experience across all areas of retail management. An exceptional leader who is able to develop and motivate others to achieve targets, I can demonstrate a strong ability to manage projects from conception through to successful completion. A proactive individual with a logical approach to challenges, I perform effectively even within a highly pressurised working environment.

OBJECTIVE

I am now looking to progress into a senior management position within the retail sector. I am therefore keen to find a new and suitably challenging role within a market-leading organisation.

CAREER SUMMARY

1994-date A&B Stores plc

SENIOR AREA OPERATIONS MANAGER (2002-date)

• Responsible for meeting budgetary and sales targets through motivating and developing staff, consistently achieving and surpassing Key Performance Indicators

• Reporting to the Retail Operations Manager with responsibility for operational and people (320) management within 14 stores

• Controlling management accounts with attention to essential criteria for net profit, including sales, shrinkage, wages, write-off, cash control and store expenditure

• Monitoring and controlling store compliance in all areas, including customer care, effective planning, staff training and development, organisation and time management

• Supporting management and staff to help create their own successful and productive team and become effective team leaders

• Maximising every sales opportunity by promoting the highest standards of customer care and recognising potential development and training opportunities

• Communicating daily with Customer Support Centre functions - Buying, Retail, Finance & Distribution – to ensure effective control and operation of all areas

• Reviewing and evaluating weekly KPI achievement and producing an end of week spreadsheet

• Supporting and coaching Area Managers to reach their full potential

• Deputising for Retail Operations Manager, responsible for whole region, incorporating 9 Area Managers

CUSTOMER SERVICES MANAGER (2000-2002)

• Reporting to the Director of service quality, primarily responsible for 16,000 internal customers and all external customers

• Maintaining the Service Quality Customer Service Standards Library for the department

• Developing a CD ROM training programme to be used in all stores, in line with customer service strategy

• Managing and developing stores’ monthly incentive programme and cost justifying

• Supervising, motivating and developing team reward and recognition programmes

• Handling and swiftly resolving customer complaints in a professional and effective manner

• Creating and introducing in-store customer awareness and feedback forms with most useful results

SPECIAL PROJECTS MANAGER – RETAIL & SUPPLY CHAIN (1999-2000)

• Reporting to the Group Retail Director and charged with integrating One Stop systems to A&B

• Introducing ambient grocery to the distribution centre, setting up new delivery schedules, training programmes and rolling out into 400 stores

• Designing effective store communication procedures to ensure the smooth running of all operations

• Responsible for seasonal event management for the company

• Investigating and understanding weekly shrinkage issues, producing a user friendly guide, and subsequently testing and rolling-out

AREA OPERATIONS MANAGER (1997-1999)

STORE MANAGER (1995-1997)

• Managing 7 convenience stores and becoming Training Store Manager for the whole region, manager of the Store of Excellence and Area Manager Designate

• Encouraging the highest possible standards of customer service from the team and maintaining the smooth day-to-day operation of the stores

• Maintaining good staff relations through effective communication, leadership, discipline and motivation

• As Training Store Manager for all trainees, achieving the successful induction of 48 new employees

RELIEF MANAGER (1994-1995)

ASSISTANT STORE MANAGER (1994)

EDUCATION AND QUALIFICATIONS

B.I.I: National Licensee Certificate

NVQ: Retail Levels 1, 2 & 3

3 A Levels: Economics, Mathematics & Chemistry (1994)

9 GCSEs: Including English & Mathematics (1992)

KEY I.T. SKILLS

- Word, Excel, Access, PowerPoint, Internet & Email

PERSONAL DETAILS

Date of Birth: 18th January 1977

Nationality: British

Health: Excellent; non-smoker

Other: Qualified in First Aid

INTERESTS AND ACTIVITIES

Currently include: Netball (playing & coaching), Badminton & DIY

REFERENCES ARE AVAILABLE ON REQUEST
Sample resume: Executive and chronological format
Chris Jackson

24 Mansfield Drive, Chedlee,

Manchester M23 4DJ.

Tel: (0161) 234 1234

Email: Chris@hotmail.com

PROFILE:

A Senior Quality Assurance Technician with a wide range of experience in the food industry. Able to work on own initiative and as part of a team. Proven leadership skills involving managing, developing and motivating teams to achieve their objectives. First-class analytical, design and problem solving skills. Dedicated to maintaining high quality standards.

MAJOR ACHIEVEMENTS:

Saved the company £50,000 a year by implementing a new quality assurance system.

Increased the acceptance level of finished goods from 96% to 99%.

Achieved BS5750 for the production line by rewriting the company's quality assurance procedures.

Solved major quality assurance problems which temporarily halted production.

CAREER HISTORY:

1989 - date GEPO FOODS LIMITED

1992 - date Senior Quality Assurance Technician

Gepo Foods manufacture biscuits under the brand name Manu at their Manchester factory. Responsibilities and achievements:

Managed all quality assurance in Gepo Foods' Manchester factory and reported directly to the Factory Manager.

Managed a team of 6 people; assigning them tasks, and motivating them to meet deadlines.

Demonstrated the quality assurance procedures to customers on factory visits.

Performed Quality Audits at the factory.

1989 - 1992 Quality Assurance Technician

Created computer applications with the help of a programmer to monitor the factory environment.

Analysed the quality assurance system and made recommendations for improvements. These were incorporated into the current quality assurance system.

Examined equipment in the factory to check that it met the company standards.

Investigated new equipment installed in the factory to make sure that it would comply with quality assurance procedures.

1985 - 1989 SURRET FOOD PRODUCTS LIMITED

1986 - 1989 Research Technician

Surret Food Products manufacture a wide range of grocery products. Responsibilities:

Formulated new product lines and conducted the relevant laboratory experiments.

Performed a study of the shelf life of various canned foods.

Tested new products to check that they met EEC guidelines for bacteriological content.

Conducted a survey on packaging.

1985 - 1986 Plant Operator

Worked on the production line at the canning factory. Responsibilities:

Operated the canning machinery producing tinned fruit and vegetables.

Solved and fixed any production line problems with the help of the service engineer.

TRAINING:

Various courses including: Quality Assurance, The BS5750 Quality Approach, Team Leadership I & II, Time Management, Report Writing.

QUALIFICATIONS:

BSc (Hons) 2:2 in Biochemistry at the University of Warwick.

3 A Levels: Maths [C], Biology , Chemistry [C]; 6 O Levels.

PERSONAL DETAILS:

Date of Birth: 24th February 1964.

Marital Status: Single.

Driving Licence: Full, clean.

INTERESTS:

Football, Grand Prix racing, physical fitness - gym.

Sample resume: What you shouldn't do
PERSONAL DATA

Full name: Juan García Pérez

Date of birth : 2 de junio de 1974

Place of birth : Cádiz

Passport number/Identity number : 10.550.550

Address : Av Rómulo Gallegos, Res. Geranios Apto 11-B, Horizontes, 10000 Cádiz

Contact number : 000 2424242

EDUCATION

1993-1998 Graduaded in “International Business Studies” at University of Granada

1999-2000 MBA at Madrid Univesity.

OTHER COURSES AND SEMINARS

1998 “Business alternatives” (35 hours). University of Granada

1999 “Business managment and creation” (150 hours). University of Granada

EMPLOYMENT HISTORY

2000-2001 Six month administration and accounting internship in HASTON, S.L.

2002-2003 Accounts assistant at Cementos Granasur, SL. Time at company: 18 months

COMPUTER SKILLS

Basic: Windows 2000, Microsoft Word, Excel, Lotus 123, DBase, Access, Contaplus e Internet.

Military Service completed

Willing to travel​
And to finish ... an example to make you laugh ...
Here's a great CV-resume example published in The Financial Post, Toronto, February 23rd 2001

Employment Wanted: Former Marijuana Smuggler

Having Successfully completed a ten year sentence, incident-free, for importing 75 tons of marijuana into the United States. I am now seeking a legal and legitimate means to support myself and my family.

Business Experience: Owned and operated a successful fishing business - multi vessel, one airplane, one island and one processing facility. Simultaneously owned and operated a fleet of tractor-trailer trucks conducting business in the western United States. During this time I also co-owned and participated in the executive level management of 120 people worldwide in a successful pot smuggling venture with revenues in excess of US$100 million annually.

I took responsibility for my actions, and received a ten year sentence in the untied states while others walked free for their cooperation.

Attributes: I am an expert in all levels of security; I have extensive computer skills, am personable, outgoing, well-educated, reliable, clean and sober. I have spoken in schools to thousands of kids and parent groups over the past ten years on "the consequences of choice", and received public recognition from the RCMP for community service. I am well-travelled and speak English, French and Spanish.

References available from friends, family and the U.S. District Attorney, etc.​
Monster​
WHAT IS A RESUME ?
Resume is a document that speaks about You, and tells why an Employer should choose You for a job interview. Resume is considered before the job interview, so it is a document that reflects you as an ideal employee with desired qualification and experience.

Some people stuff their resume with too much information, while others mention the specific information, but in an unorganized manner. So, You should know the art of writing a good resume. Resume Service is available for Resume Help.
A Good Resume has two main sections:
-What Abilities You Possess, What Qualities You Have, and Your Achievements in Professional terms.
-Your Previous Jobs, your Academic and Professional Qualification, etc in a chronological order(based on time period).

We shall discuss above points in Resume Format and Sample Resume Sections also.
HOW TO WRITE A GOOD RESUME ?
Below are the Resume Writing Tips for You:​
  • Use a Good A-4 Size paper.
  • Use same Paper for Cover Letter also.
  • Do not Fold your Resume Sheets.
  • Use the same Size Envelope, prefer White colored Envelope.
  • Use Simple font of size 12 Points.
  • Do not use more than two font styles in your Resume.
  • Do not use any Symbol or Logo on the top of your Resume. You might think it looks Attractive but it does not look Professional that way.
  • A Resume typically should be restricted to a page without any irrelevant details.
  • Make sure you personalize your objective for each Organization, e.g. AIR HOSTESS WITH SINGAPORE AIRLINES, MARKETING EXECUTIVE WITH IBM CORP, etc.
  • A Cover letter should be personalized to specific Organization, you wish to apply for.
  • Do not list References, Write instead that they are available on request. List the References only if specifically asked.
  • Look for the Employer's needs. Portray Yourself as a Solution to his needs in your resume.
  • Write Your Professional Qualifications and Knowledge first as this section tells the Employer about your Job skills.
  • Then List your Academic Qualifications in chronological order, starting with recent Qualification to Previous ones. You may write your Qualification in order of Relevance, if Your Educational Background is not directly related to Your Job Skills.
  • Write Your Experience in terms of Quantity if possible. Mention time Period of Work, How well you performed, Achievements in your performance.
  • Use P-A-R Technique for stating your Experience. Mention Problem-Action-Result in your previous Employment. What were your responsibilities, How You executed your Responsibilities and What Results You Achieved. This Really impresses the Employer !
  • Get You Resume Reviewed by a Friend. This will help you to get feedback on the language and content of your Resume
  • Check for the Spelling Errors, Grammatical Mistakes, Punctuation Problems, etc.