Total silence after Tendulkar's exit

Lily

B.R
Staff member
1895539344.jpg
Chennai: It was nothing but a terrible heartbreak for Chennai cricket fans. Sachin Tendulkar, the man who was expected to score his 100th century, fell to the last ball of the first over for just two runs. It plunged the whole stadium into total silence.

Almost all spectators had come in carrying placards to celebrate Tendulkar's 100th century. His first century on India soil was scored here and hence they all strongly believed that he will score his 100th century too on this very ground.

Ever since Tendulkar landed in Chennai, photographers and media have been chasing him. All local newspapers had his training pictures with the caption ...Will he create history here. Some went to the extent of minute-by- minute description of all his acts during the practice session.

Some newspapers even reported that he practiced shots closing his eyes to ensure that he was middling the ball correctly. Never before have fans created so much of hype over a batsman's milestone, though many cricketers have created history and passed many landmarks at this very venue.

A rare honour

"If I could have witnessed Tendulkar's 100th century, I could have told my grand children that I was there when he did it. For many decades, no one will achieve such an honour," remarked a 25-year-old youngster who was seated near the press box.

It is with such hope that the crowd had come in to Chepauk. The result of this match was of no consequence since both teams have qualified for the quarter-finals.

As soon as one settled down in the press box, the Tamil Nadu Cricket Association officials distributed a pamphlet narrating the golden moments at Chepauk. They wanted the media to highlight all those moments too along with Tendulkar's hundredth century to prove the historical importance of this centre in Indian cricket. They had pointed out that it was Tendulkar's favourite venue having scored the most Test runs (876 runs) than at any other stadium in India.

As soon as Tendulkar came out to stretch, the crowd roared in applause and some waved banners saying: "Welcome to your 450th One-day match." This knowledgeable crowd had prepared their placards after a thorough study on the milestones that Tendulkar may pass during his knock.

One placard read "Welcome to 18,000-club." If Tendulkar had scored another 45 runs, he would have gone past the 18,000-run mark.

Incidentally, Tendulkar has now reached a stage where personal milestones don't bother him anymore.

Indian skipper Mahendra Singh Dhoni said: "Every time Tendulkar plays, he is supposed to go past one milestone or the other; so milestones don't bother him anymore."

The whole mood of the crowd could be summed up in an official's remark: "For Tendulkar, it may have been just another bad day. If not in Chennai, he might achieve it in Ahmedabad; but for every Chennai fan it is like missing a century after reaching 99."

[/img][/COLOR]