Tiwana First Woman President Of Punjabi Sahit Akademi

Lily

B.R
Staff member
TIWANA FIRST WOMAN PRESIDENT OF PUNJABI SAHIT AKADEMI

Ludhiana April 14:
Well-Known Punjabi littérateur Dalip Kaur Tiwana created history by becoming the first woman president of the Punjabi Sahit Akademi.
The Akademi, which is the largest body of Punjabi littérateur, held its biannual polls here today, where Tiwana beat her rival Gurbhajan Gill by a slim margin of 31 votes. After her victory, Tiwana, a recipient of Saraswati Award, said, “This post is a big responsibility which I will shoulder with utmost responsibility.
The main agenda of my team would be to prepare a blueprint for promotion of Punjabi language, literature, poetry and theatre, so that it gets its due internationally.” Tiwana was bestowed the Saraswati Samman for her novel ‘Katha Kaho Urvashi’. A strong advocate of equality for women in the feudal Punjabi society, Tiwana has also been honoured with the Sahit Akademi Award for her novel ‘Eho Hamara Jeewana’. Commenting on the alleged mud-slinging on her by her rivals, Tiwana said, “All this is a part of elections.
My rivals have alleged that I have never visited the Akademi in my life or that being an outsider I will never come here. All I want to say is that I will perform my duty with sincerity, and now that the elections are over there are no more rivals.” Tiwana lives in Patiala and has taught Punjabi at Punjabi University. A towering Punjabi wordsmith, Tiwana has over 15 novels to her credit. She has also penned her two-volume autobiography, ‘Nange Pairen Da Safar’ and ‘Puchte Ho To Sunoo’. Tiwana retired as Dean Academics from Punjabi University.