Taxi driver dead following late-night incident.

A taxi driver is dead after allegedly being stabbed and robbed in Auckland overnight.
The incident happened in View Road, Mount Eden in the early hours of this morning. The road is cordoned off and police are still at the scene.
The victim, understood to be Hiren Mohini, had picked up a fare in the city and was en route to Mt Eden around 1.30am when the incident took place.
A police statement said the taxi had crashed into a tree and the driver was deceased.
Chairman of the Auckland Co-operative Taxi Society, Ian Graham, said the society was "deeply saddened by the tragic case of Mr Mohini this morning".
"All our thoughts and prayers are with the family at this time.
"The company is in shock and anger that a young family man, working hard to provide for his family has been taken in such a senseless act of violence."
Taxi drivers who gathered at the scene this morning said they had heard a driver was in trouble over the taxi company's communications system.
Emergency services were already there by the time they arrived.
Mr Graham said some of Mr Mohini's fellow taxi drivers had attempted to go to his aid but arrived too late.
"It's the comradeship in the guys, we are a society and we try and look after each other."
Mr Graham said Mr Mohini left a wife, a mother and two young daughters, aged five and two.

Bipin Tava said many drivers feared for their safety.

"Every night we go out of the house, we are not sure whether we will be safe or not," he told TVNZ.

"We ask (for) some protection, like some partition between driver and passenger, so that we feel safe."

Re: Taxi driver dead following late-night incident

The guy was from a poor family, and had just joined the coop taxi company. i am seeing tears in every punjabis/indians eyes......there were more then 300 taxis on view road after the incident took place. his family was told in the morning, i do feel very sorry for his wife and his too lil daughters..........................may his soul R.I.P