Sibal should quit if he feels bill won't check graft: Hazare

Lily

B.R
Staff member
New Delhi: Social activist Anna Hazare on Monday said if Human Resource Development Minister Kapil Sibal feels that the Lokpal Bill cannot check corruption, he should quit from the committee formed to draft the anti-graft legislation.

"If he [Sibal] feels that the Lokpal Bill cannot do anything, then he should resign from the committee and concentrate on other work in favour of the nation," Hazare told reporters before leaving for Mumbai.

Sibal, however, claimed he had been misquoted. "We want to draft a strong bill to tackle corruption in any sector where it is rampant... I will sit together with Anna Hazare to draft a comprehensive bill so that we achieve our goals," Sibal told reporters.

"I have only said that if you want to educate children, then it has nothing to do with Lokpal Bill," he added. Sibal and Hazare are on the 10-member committee set up for drafting the Lokpal bill.

Meanwhile, an SMS doing the rounds is urging the people to join Hazare's crusade against corruption. However, the organisers of the movement say they have nothing to do with it.

"Dear Indian," the SMS reads, "it is time to fight rampant corruption in India. Anna has taken the lead show your support now. Join Anna's Army. For updates sms JOIN ANNA to 09219592195".

A phone call to the number elicited the response: "This number does not exist, Please check the number you have dialled."

Some people did respond to the SMS.

"I thought the SMS came from the organisers, so I replied," said Shashi Gupta, a housewife who was closely following the developments since Anna Hazare began a fast-unto-death last Tuesday to press for a more anti-graft.

He broke the fast after 97 hours on Saturday when the government accepted his demand.

Denial

Organisers of the India Against Corruption movement, the banner under which Hazare is conducting his campaign, denied having any knowledge about the SMS.

"We haven't started any SMS campaign as yet and have no knowledge about it," one of the organisers said.