Hyderabadi Women Launch Legal Fight Over Triple Talaq, After ‘Divorce’ over Whatsapp

Miss Alone

Prime VIP
afaughafajfsua750x500-1.jpg

The latest incident of divorce over Whatsapp has ignited the controversial debate of “Triple Talaq” all over again.

Two women, residents of Old City in Hyderabad, have launched a fight against the regressive Sharia practice of triple talaq after they were given talaq over WhatsApp by their husbands.

Both the incidents have come to light at a time when the verdict of triple talaq is being discussed by the Supreme Court of the country.

In the first instance, Heena got married to Fayazuddin in February 2013. A few weeks ago, Heena received a WhatsApp message from her husband with the three words: ‘talaq, talaq, talaq.’ Heena’s husband then sent her the divorce papers from the US, where he currently lives and works.

In the second case, Mehreen, married to Hussaini’s brother Aqeel, was also divorced by her husband over WhatsApp. Mehreen received a WhatsApp message from Aqeel that she had been divorced.

Having been divorced unilaterally without seeking their consent, both Heena and Mehreen were thrown out of houses by their in-laws. Deprived of any fair trial, both the women have decided to fight back against them.

“I have two children, who will take care of them? Sharia law lets you divorce me, but who is going to look after our children? Doesn’t Sharia law ask of you to take care of your children?” said Heena in interview with TV9 as reported by NDTV.

“After marriage, I found out that my husband’s name is Usman Qureshi. And now, without reason, he sent me a divorce notice. They have made marriage into a joke,” said Mehreen.

“What is my fault? He has to tell me the reason. He can’t say Talaq over Whatsapp” she said.

Their father-in-law said that the sons are in the US and sent divorce documents.

The police in Hyderabad has registered a case against the relatives of Mehreen, for allegedly harassing her and attempt to murder.

According to the report by Times of India, “Mehreen has been staying with her in-laws at Moghulpura and in the last week of February, she received a WhatsApp message from Usman saying “Talaq Talaq Talaq”. Subsequently, in-laws shunted Mehreen out of their house and she lodged a complaint with us on February 27. The family members of Usman claimed that he had also sent talaq notice through email. But, Mehreen has not received any talaq documents and the talaq over WhatsApp is not valid,” Moghulpura inspector R Devender said.

In Islam, triple talaq is interpreted as divorcing a woman by uttering the word talaq thrice.

Earlier, the All India Muslim Women Personal Law Board (AIMWPLB) had demanded a ban on triple talaq stating that men who arbitrarily give divorce must be punished.

132jpgpagespeedceqbQcWEOFvd-1.jpg

“Quran says there must be time for reconciliation between partners. It says when a man gives talaq he must pause and consult his wife. Otherwise, triple talaq is like a hanging dagger for Muslim women,” IMWPLB President Shaista Amber had said at the time.

The Supreme Court had recently asked a constitution bench to examine the validity of triple talaq. The Centre has given its opinion against this practice saying that religious practices cannot override the rights of women.