Punjab News Film institute for training Ludhiana's acting talent

chief

Prime VIP
Naveen Kalia, TNN | Mar 3, 2011, 01.09pm IST

LUDHIANA: Veteran Punjabi actor Satish Kaul, who was in the city for launching his new Punjabi movie 'Bagh da rakha baghban', said he is planning to start a film institute in Ludhiana.

While talking to TOI, Kaul said it was his dream to start a film institute in Ludhiana. He said his institute will be of international standards and students will be trained in cinematic and acting skills. ''Actors like Naseeruddin Shah, Ompuri, Raza Murad and Kiran Kumar will guide the students in the academy,'' he said.

The actor said youth from Punjab usually shift base to Mumbai for learning cinematic skills and then spend a lot of money in film institutes. ''This is why I wanted to open a film institute in Punjab and I have chosen Ludhiana for this purpose,'' Kaul said.

Born in Kashmir, Kaul said acting is his passion. After completing graduation from Srinagar he joined a diploma course in Film and Television Institute of India (FTII), Pune in 1969. Recalling his FTII days, Kaul said Jaya Bachan, Danny Denzongpa, Shatrugan Sinha, Zarina Wahab, Asha Sachdeva and Ompuri were his batchmates in the institute.

Kaul started his career in 1970 with the Hindi film 'Prem Parbhat', Kaul said that in this film Rehana Sultan was heroine and it was an average movie. ''Later on I did 'Mardon wali Baat' with Dharmendra and 'Warrant' with Dev Anand. I was not good at marketing my personality because of which I could not achieve greater heights in Bollywood,'' he said.

Recently awarded a 'lifetime achievement' award for his contribution in Punjabi cinema, Satish Kaul said 'Morni' (1972) was his first Punjabi breakthrough with Radha Saluja and it gave tough competition to 'Amar Akbar and Anthony' in the state. 'Jeeja Saali', 'Jat Punjabi', 'Lacchi', 'Yaar Gareeban Da' were his other blockbuster movies.

Talking about Punjabi movies of today, Kaul said there is a need for ''new concepts and ideas in Punjabi cinema. Punjabi movies don't do well at the box office because they lack emotions.''

Kaul said despite having done about 300 Punjabi and Hindi movies, he had to spend five years from 2003-08 alone because everybody abandoned him. ''For five years I lived in Mother Teresa orphanage, but because of my courage and will power I have regained strength and returned to the industry. There are many other actors also who are now living in oblivion because the industry has forgotten them,'' he said. Kaul informed that he is the director, writer and producer of his new film. He said the film is based on the concept of use of drugs among youth in Punjab. Without revealing the name, Kaul said a popular Bollywood actor is part of his new project but the remaining star cast is yet to be finalized.