Control your aggression, Ganguly's advice to Bhajji

HoneY

MaaPeya Da LaaDLa
As Harbhajan Singh serves yet another ban for an on field spat, former India skipper Sourav Ganguly offers the beleaguered off-spinner a simple piece of advice to steer clear of controversies - "control your aggression". ( Watch )

"... we have all (the senior players) reasoned with him and he needs to understand how vital he is to the team and so he should control himself," Ganguly said.

Harbhajan was handed a five-match ODI ban besides being barred from the remainder of the Indian Premier League for slapping India teammate S Sreesanth after an IPL match last month.

The flamboyant bowler remains apologetic about the incident and has said the ugly episode was the worst crisis he has had to deal with after the emotional turmoil he faced following the death of his father.

Ganguly described Harbhajan as an aggressive but fine human being despite his on-field behaviour coming in for scathing criticism from all quarters.

"Harbhajan is an aggressive person but he is very good at heart. He is a friend who is always ready to help anybody at anytime," Ganguly said in BBC's Ek Mulaqat programme.

Besides the Harbhajan-Sreesanth spat, the IPL has also seen some riveting cricket and Ganguly said the tournament has revolutionised the game.

"This is true that IPL has brought about a paradigm change in cricket. All the stadiums remain packed... We wish that this new style of cricket will be successful," Ganguly said.

However, the left-hander reiterated that five-day cricket remained the true test of a player's abilities.

"This is entertainment, but involves a lot of travelling. The real cricket is Test cricket," he said.

On his own side Kolkata Knight Riders and its owner Shah Rukh Khan, Ganguly said the Bollywood star was deeply involved with the running of the team.

"He is very involved with the team. I know him well since 2003, when he was operated for his back. Our whole team likes him very much and he motivates us a lot," he said.

Ganguly, who rose to prominence as an opener alongside Sachin Tendulkar, said the Mumbai batsman still remains his favourite as an opening partner.

"I like to open with Sachin Tendulkar. I have played with him for many years. Even Sehwag is a great player but if you ask me for my best choice that would be Sachin. He has the capabilities of winning the match," he explained.

Asked who were his best mates in the Indian team, Ganguly named his contemporaries as the closest to him.

"All are my good friends. I have good friendship with Sachin, (Rahul) Dravid, (Virender) Sehwag, (Anil) Kumble and Harbhajan," he said.