After outcry, govt withdraws draft on storing of messages

Jaswinder Singh Baidwan

Akhran da mureed
Staff member
A major backlash from the internet users today forced the government to withdraw a draft policy that sought to make it mandatory for everyone to store all mobile and social media messages, including on WhatsApp, for 90 days.
The government did a U-turn on the National Encryption Policy, a draft of which was put on the Department of Electronics & Information Technology (DeitY) website over the weekend, saying it “supported the social media and respected the freedom of expression and articulation”.
Telecom Minister Ravi Shankar Prasad today announced that the government had decided to withdraw the draft of the National Encryption Policy. "I personally feel that some of the expressions used in the draft are giving rise to uncalled-for misgivings. Therefore, I have written to DeitY to withdraw that draft, rework it properly and thereafter put it in the public domain," Prasad said.
He said the government under Prime Minister Narendra Modi backed freedom of social media. "Our government supports social media....We respect the freedom of expression and articulation," he said.
He stressed that common users would not come under the ambit of the encryption policy that would be framed.
The draft policy, on which the comments of the public were sought till October 16, required businesses, telcos and internet companies to store all encrypted data for 90 days in plain text so that the same could be shared with the law enforcement agencies whenever asked. Failing to do so would have attracted legal action. Prasad clarified that it was just a draft and not a government policy. "Yesterday, it was brought to our notice that the draft has been put in the public domain, seeking comments. I wish to make it clear that it is just a draft and not the view of the government. I have noted concerns expressed by the public," he said.
Acknowledging that cyberspace transaction was rising, he said there was a need for an encryption policy that would apply to those who are involved in encrypting a messaging product "for a variety of reasons".
The issue gave a handle to the opposition to attack the government with Congress leader Randeep Surjewala calling the policy an attempt to subjugate and curb individual liberty. The AAP said it was a tool for "snooping" and reflected the government's "totalitarian inclination".
The DeitY today issued an addendum to the original draft clarifying: "Mass use encryption products, which are currently being used in Web applications, social media sites, and social media applications will be exempted, along with SSL/TLS encryption products being used in Internet-banking and payment gateways as directed by the RBI."