Old laptop for downloads

Dhillon

Dhillon Sa'aB™
Staff member
I want to setup my old laptop , dedicated for downloading stuff ( torrents, legal stuff I swear :an )

1. Is it possible to remotely access that laptop for search, start , stop downloads ?

2. Cheap way to increase storage from the current 80GB drive.

kit walker

VIP
Staff member
You can Remote Control Software like Team Viewer or Ammyy Admin for remotely using the machine. Add portable hdd for extended storage.

Dhillon

Dhillon Sa'aB™
Staff member
Update: teamviewer worked 'windows Remote Desktop' worked even better.
utorrent remote will also be handy :)

for now 80Gb + couple of pendrives will do.

Reactions: JJ
Install Windows XP .. and use windows remote desktop [ use mstsc from the run box ].

this will dircetly bring the that system to your front without need of teamviewer (which is over the internet.

Try using the other viable option of JS Matharoo Bai.. ( never tried tho)

ลgǝи†.47

Codename 47
Keep in mind teamviewer sessions don't last whole day. They work for half hour or so.

cheaper way of adding storage ? How much data are you planning to download ?
Your laptop has around 80gb hdd which means around 50 gb space for downloads. I reckon thats enough. Just move the data overnight to your other computer. Or you can wirelessly share the files over the wifi shared network. Setup a media server

deep

Prime VIP
Keep in mind teamviewer sessions don't last whole day. They work for half hour or so.

cheaper way of adding storage ? How much data are you planning to download ?
Your laptop has around 80gb hdd which means around 50 gb space for downloads. I reckon thats enough. Just move the data overnight to your other computer. Or you can wirelessly share the files over the wifi shared network. Setup a media server
you can set it up for unattended access, we use it for a machine at client site for temp use.

for storage you can add a USB portable or desktop version of external HD which are really cheap these days (approx 100$ for 3TB)

Thanks