Stuart Binny eager to don all-rounder's role at RCB

[JUGRAJ SINGH]

Prime VIP
Staff member
Royal Challengers Bangalore's latest recruit Stuart Binny believes the presence of fellow all-rounder, Australia's Shane Watson, will not affect his prospects, adding that his aim is to contribute when the opportunity arises.

"I don't think there is any competition since Watto (Shane Watson) falls in the foreign category. I am not too worried about whether I will get to play in the XI. My aim is to go out and perform whenever I get an opportunity," said the Bengaluru-based cricketer, who was signed up for a INR 2 crore for the upcoming season.

Having lacked impact all-rounders in the previous season, RCB strengthened their squad by roping in Watson and home boy Binny after retaining Jamaican Chris Gayle and South African David Weise. "At this point of time, I don't know where I will be bowling and batting but what I know is that I will be doing both since that's my role in the team. Whether I come in with the new ball or I come in after six overs, I am not too sure but I am eager to contribute well," Binny added.

Binny and Watson were teammates at the now-suspended Rajasthan Royals for the last four seasons and the duo's best show together was in 2013, when they shared a 93-run stand to beat another banned team Chennai Super Kings. "I have played with Watto for five seasons in the IPL. I know his brand of cricket and how attacking he can be on the field," he said.

Talking about the season ahead, Binny said: "This could be an exciting season. I have played against many of the guys in RCB in the previous editions. I've got to contribute with bat and ball and that's my role," he said. Binny, who bowls medium pace, said his skills were sharp and that he had worked on new strategies to counter the opposition. "For me it was hitting areas which I couldn't hit last year. Different teams bowl to you on different areas. I have learnt from the strategies other teams have used against me. I will be just working on countering those strategies and on hitting on those areas," he said.

Royal Challengers have never won the title despite making it to the final twice, in 2009 and 2011. The Virat Kohli-led side made it to the play-offs last season before losing to Chennai Super Kings in the qualifier. Binny said a good start to the tournament will be the key. "Starting well is everything. If we start well and build on that momentum, our chances are good. On paper, we look a strong side but what matters is how you do on the day. Our slogan is 'Be Bold' and that's the cricket we're going to play," he said.