Sammy explains Windies celebrations

Lily

B.R
Staff member
Colombo: West Indies celebrated their World Twenty20 victory not only by doing their famous ‘Gangnam Style’ dance, as Chris Gayle was seen doing a somersault in front of the trophy followed by some push-ups, while skipper Darren Sammy wrapped himself in the West Indies flag.

“We go out and enjoy the game. That is the way we play it,” Sammy remarked on the eve of the final — and they really did, refusing to bow down to the pressure of a final.

When Marlon Samuels took a wicket, they celebrated in a bizarre manner, as all his teammates stood around him and tapped all over his body as if it was a drum.

When Sammy was asked about it, he said: “I can’t explain it. Marlon is probably one of the coolest guys around. He pointed to his pocket, so I thought we’ll dust it off. Then he asked us to dust off his shirt. So, we dusted off his shirt. That was just a way of celebration.”

So has everyone in his team become experts in the Gangnam dance? “We don’t practice, it comes naturally. We just need to watch the video and watch Chris do it, and we copy it. Simple as that,” said Sammy with a smile.

Sammy then carried the trophy and placed it in front of the journalists. When questions began to pour in from different angles, he said: “My trophy is too big, I can’t see you all.” And then, lifting the trophy above his head, he continued: “We will definitely cherish this moment. I will for sure. We’re going to relive it every day of our lives. This is the best moment for me in any cricket.

“This here [the trophy] is for the Caribbean people. West Indies fans all over the world have been craving success. I know they’re partying right from Jamaica down to Guyana. And we know how to party. I think they’ll need a lot of bartenders!

“It was Dwayne Bravo’s birthday [on Sunday] so, in the huddle, I asked him to say the last words before we went on the field. He said ‘let’s go out there and give it our all. If we do that and play the game as we can, these runs are going to be a fighting total’. Ravi started it off with his first ball [which bowled Tillakaratne Dilshan] and we never looked back from there.”