India focussed on Mumbai ODI, not 5-0 whitewash: Rahane

Gill Saab

Yaar Malang
India's talented opening batsman Ajinkya Rahane Saturday said his team prefers to take one match at a time and was not thinking about a 5-0 whitewash against England in the ongoing cricket one-day series.

India have taken an unassailable 3-0 lead in the series and on the eve of the fourth ODI, Rahane said the hosts are not looking beyond Sunday's match at the Wankhede Stadium, where earlier this year they lifted the World cup.

'We are looking to tomorrow's game but not at 5-0 scoreline. We are 3-0 up but have to start afresh. We are taking one game at a time,' the Mumbaikar said.

Rahane, who fell nine short of what would have been his maiden ODI ton in Mohali, said he had learnt from his mistakes in the first two games.

'My performances in the first two matches were bad and I was a little upset. I did not want to repeat the same mistakes. I had spoken to Mahi (captain MS Dhoni) and the coach (Duncan Fletcher) and they told me to play my natural game that had got me runs in the recent past,' said Rahane.

'Mahi told me to back myself. I wanted to take my own time to settle down. I knew I could play my shots later. I was obviously disappointed at not getting a century but after making 91 if your team wins, it gives you more satisfaction.

'While chasing a big total there is some pressure but a little pressure is good as it helps you concentrate better,' said the 23-year-old.

Rahane said playing at the Wankhede, which will be hosting its first ODI since the World Cup final, will be a proud moment for him.

'The World Cup final was won here by India. It's good to represent a world champion team. It's my home ground and it's a big moment for me,' Rahane said.

Asked about his place in the team after the return of Sachin Tendulkar and Virender Sehwag, Rahane said: 'They are big players. I have two matches and one T20 International and I want to do well in those matches.'

Asked about the difference between the current series and the away-series in England, Rahane said: 'We did well in England too, but there are times in cricket when results don't go your way even when you are doing well. We have taken advantage of the home conditions. We are backing each other. The youngsters have done well and the team management and the seniors have been very helpful.'