Sharda Sinha taking folk music to Bollywood

Lily

B.R
Staff member
Indian folk singer Sharda Sinha, who has lent her voice in Anurag Kashyap’s Gangs of Wasseypur - Part 2, says the experience of singing in the film was amazing.

The 59-year-old has sung the famous Electric Piya for Gangs of Wasseypur - Part 2 and she thinks that folk music get a wider reach when they are part of the films.

“Films provide a bigger platform for folk music and in which ever films folk music is accepted the movies have become a success. Electric Piya is a marriage song but it focuses on the political and social issues of Bihar,” Sinha said. Sinha, whose voice will be heard after a long time, has previously worked with Sooraj Barjatya in Maine Pyar Kiya and Hum Aapke Hain Kaun. Gangs of Wasseypur - Part 2 explores the folk tunes of Bihar, making Sneha Khanwalker’s music a hit.

“Anurag didn’t change the song and so the essence of it remains intact. I wasn’t sure if I could sing the song and I told Sneha that ‘I don’t sing such songs’ but she convinced me and said ‘Only I can do justice to the song as she is looking for my kind of voice’,” Sinha said.

Talking about the kind of songs being composed today, Sinha said ,”Some songs are good and the new talents are just blindly following a trend, they don’t experiment much. I don’t like the lyrics of the songs written today and even folk songs have lost its originality.”