I don't encourage actors to ready my scripts, says director

Lily

B.R
Staff member
3332233010.jpg
Celebrated director Adoor Gopalakrishnan occupies a privileged berth in Indian cinema. He's one of the few directors who discourages his actors from reading his scripts. And, does he get away with it? He does thanks to his rich repertoire of art-house films including Mathilukal and Anantaram.

"Actors reading the script and understanding the role — that will create problems," said Gopalakrishnan. He was in Abu Dhabi last weekend to attend the Indian Film Festival organised by the Indian Film Society of the United Arab Emirates and to showcase his 1981 Malayalam classic Elippathayam (The Rat Trap).

The two-day event also saw Kannada filmmaker Girish Kasaravalli and Bengali director Gautam Ghose participate.

"Because their interpretation of the roles will be different from mine, it's not a good idea … but I have a detailed script in my hand," he said.

Asked if he met with resistance for his unconventional style of filmmaking, the award-winning director said: "They know it's for their good. They are aware that they have been typecast in many of their films. So good artists like Mammootty are aware of that. When I make a film in a different way, they are excited and are nice about it."

[/img][/COLOR]