‘Robot’ in the same league as ‘Sholay’: Rajnikanth

chief

Prime VIP

It’s a unique film, says the south superstar

At the music launch of his upcoming sci-fi thriller Robot, south megastar Rajnikant was all praises for the film directed by Shankar and co-starring Aishwarya Rai. So much so that Rajni compared the movie to the cult Hindi film Sholay which has remained unrivalled since its release 35 years ago.

“Around Rs 160 crore has been invested to make the film (Robot). It's fantastic; technical excellence is there. Sholay made history not because of the money or budget involved, not because it was a multi-starrer, not because of the technicalities, but because of its subject,” Rajnikanth told reporters at the music release of ‘Robot’ at JW Marriot on Saturday.

“Like Sholay,” he added, “in Robot too there is an excellent storyline, excellent character sketches. This is the first Indian story of its type. It's science fiction and excellently made.”

At the music launch Rajnikanth and Aishwarya were joined by Amitabh Bachchan and Jaya Bachchan.

Mr. Bachchan and Rajnikanth have had a long working relationship and have continued to remain friends since doing films like ‘Andhaa Kaanoon’, ‘Giraftar’ and ‘Hum’.

Speaking about Rajnikanth at the launch, Big B said: “I am very privileged because I have a long association with Rajni. There is no doubt in my mind that he is indeed son of the soil and he is the person who is greatly, greatly loved and admired by every Indians.”

In response Rajnikanth said Mr. Bachchan has been an inspiration for him.